Connect Devices to Fritzbox instead of Netduma R1

jimmyeatsquaids

Hi,

I'm currently trying to figure out if it's possible to have my PC, console etc. connected to my Fritzbox 3490 modem/router while still using the R1 for the geo-filter feature. Up until now I just plugged in my R1 to my fritzbox through port 1 and it works properly but the setup comes with some downsides I'm trying to avoid. For example I can't access the interface of the fritzbox when connected like that which is very annoying. I also use the wifi of my fritzbox (I don't like the wifi of the R1) to connect my TV to the internet but I can't access my NAS through the TV as it's plugged in to the R1 instead of the fritzbox. If I connect the NAS to my fritzbox instead I can access the NAS on my TV but I lose access on my PC as I'm connected to the R1 but not the fritzbox.

I figured all I needed to do was change the network address space of the R1 to match the one of the fritzbox but that unfortunately didn't do the trick. Connecting my PC to the fritzbox will make me lose access to the R1 interface but then I realized I can get access simply by plugging the lan cable from my fritzbox to the R1 to anything but port 1. At that point I thought I fixed all issues because I was able to access both fritzbox and R1 interfaces on my PC but then I realized the R1 lost access to the internet so I wasn't able to use the geo-filter feature anymore. At that point the R1 behaves in a weird way as it seems to be able to detect when my PS5 gets turned on, it briefly shows up as online in the device manager of the R1 but then goes back offline.

So yeah any help with this would be appreciated. I'm on the latest version of the R1 (3.0.207) and have tried a factory reset as well.

10 hours ago, jimmyeatsquaids said:

Hi,

I'm currently trying to figure out if it's possible to have my PC, console etc. connected to my Fritzbox 3490 modem/router while still using the R1 for the geo-filter feature. Up until now I just plugged in my R1 to my fritzbox through port 1 and it works properly but the setup comes with some downsides I'm trying to avoid. For example I can't access the interface of the fritzbox when connected like that which is very annoying. I also use the wifi of my fritzbox (I don't like the wifi of the R1) to connect my TV to the internet but I can't access my NAS through the TV as it's plugged in to the R1 instead of the fritzbox. If I connect the NAS to my fritzbox instead I can access the NAS on my TV but I lose access on my PC as I'm connected to the R1 but not the fritzbox.

I figured all I needed to do was change the network address space of the R1 to match the one of the fritzbox but that unfortunately didn't do the trick. Connecting my PC to the fritzbox will make me lose access to the R1 interface but then I realized I can get access simply by plugging the lan cable from my fritzbox to the R1 to anything but port 1. At that point I thought I fixed all issues because I was able to access both fritzbox and R1 interfaces on my PC but then I realized the R1 lost access to the internet so I wasn't able to use the geo-filter feature anymore. At that point the R1 behaves in a weird way as it seems to be able to detect when my PS5 gets turned on, it briefly shows up as online in the device manager of the R1 but then goes back offline.

So yeah any help with this would be appreciated. I'm on the latest version of the R1 (3.0.207) and have tried a factory reset as well.

Welcome to the forum!

Do you require PPPoE for your connection? If so, that's probably why you can't access the Fritzbox interface.

Is the Fritzbox also the modem? If that's the case, there isnt really a way you can have everything connected to it but still use the features of DumaOS.

What exactly is the issue you're having with the Wi-Fi? The best solution would be to have everything on the network connected to the R1.

4 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Welcome to the forum!

Do you require PPPoE for your connection? If so, that's probably why you can't access the Fritzbox interface.

Is the Fritzbox also the modem? If that's the case, there isnt really a way you can have everything connected to it but still use the features of DumaOS.

What exactly is the issue you're having with the Wi-Fi? The best solution would be to have everything on the network connected to the R1.

Not sure if I require a PPPoE connection, all I know is the R1 doesn't have access to the internet unless I plug in my Fritzbox (both modem & router functionality) to port 1 of the R1.

The Fritzbox is also the modem as I said and afaik it HAS to have modem functionality as the R1 doesn't have that right? Kinda sad to hear there doesn't appear to be a proper fix for my issue.

I don't like the Wi-Fi of the R1 because the device makes a very annoying and consistent noise when using Wi-Fi. I think my Fritzbox has better Wi-Fi range which would be necessary for me anyways but as I said I can't even use the R1 for Wi-Fi because of the noise.

1 hour ago, jimmyeatsquaids said:

Not sure if I require a PPPoE connection, all I know is the R1 doesn't have access to the internet unless I plug in my Fritzbox (both modem & router functionality) to port 1 of the R1.

The Fritzbox is also the modem as I said and afaik it HAS to have modem functionality as the R1 doesn't have that right? Kinda sad to hear there doesn't appear to be a proper fix for my issue.

I don't like the Wi-Fi of the R1 because the device makes a very annoying and consistent noise when using Wi-Fi. I think my Fritzbox has better Wi-Fi range which would be necessary for me anyways but as I said I can't even use the R1 for Wi-Fi because of the noise.

No problem, if you're not sure that usually means you don't require it. What's the LAN IP of the Fritzbox? What do you see in your web browser when you try to access it while connected through the R1? You should still be able to get to it.

Correct, the R1 has no modem functionality. There isn't a problem with the R1 in this scenario, it's just that it needs to have the traffic going through it in order for it to influence that traffic.

I'm not aware of the R1 making a noise when Wi-Fi is active, has it always done that since you've had it or did it start randomly one day?