Some "layman's view" questions? XR1000

Hello,

I ordered a new router XR1000 which is due to be delivered today. Before this i always used a router which was both modem and router. My main reason to buy this router was i heard Duma has best QOS and anti blufferbloat settings and every games are unplayable to me where they start fine at the start of the match but then the rubber banding begins, this is mostly evident in overwatch.. In games where there is no rubber banding the enemies see me 4 seconds before i see them on my screen (not Peaker's advantage) but a strange lag like i lost 4 seconds worth of fps in siege, halo, league of legends and other games. In several testing i found out that my blufferbloat rating is very bad and <200ms. 

My question is will the XR1000 router be sufficient or do you need a matching modem in order to get the best of QOS features and tackle the bluffer boat. The modem i am using is CAX80 (huge mistake for gaming since it does not have QOS and i am outside return policy) but i feel is a powerful modem/router for everyday use. 

Please advise me some settings which would be best to begin with once i get hands on the router. Also, i read somewhere about putting your speed limit below your current speeds in the settings. Can someone please link me to a guide regarding it.

Thank you and sorry i am not a very technical person but not being able to enjoy any games is being a real issue to me. And yes also other main question is: do i need to upgrade the duma os firmware manually or does it happen within the OS itself?

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

No you do not need a matching modem - all a modem does is pass traffic straight through to the router so as long as it can pass all your bandwidth through then that's all that is needed. If you'll be using the CAX80 as the modem (as the XR is only a router so does need to be connected to a modem) then make sure you put it in bridge/modem mode. For Settings when you first access the router you'll go through the Setup Wizard (you'll need to do this to get internet) then once you complete it you will have the tour appear. I strongly recommend you go through this, it won't take long at all, 5 minutes at most but it will give you a good understanding of the features and how you can use them. We have some optimal settings guides here you can use: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646 they're a little out of date for the firmware version you're on but they're still applicable. If you have any questions about anything in particular just ask and we'll be happy to help - no question is too big or too small.