Significantly worse speeds on XR500 WIFI compared to Virgin Hub 4

Recently upgraded my Virgin to the 1000Mbps package and with that they sent me out a new hub as my existing one wouldn't support the increase. I haven't had the time to setup my XR500 until today so I've been happily plodding along using the Virgin Hub, speeds at the other side of the house of around 500, no real blackspots. Even gaming on Wifi seemed pleasant . Speeds test over wifi on my PS5 hitting 281 which for the location is decent. This is usually wierd into powerline adaptors just not had the time to sort.  

I just setup my powerline adaptors. In the location I am currently sat which is my home office. a floor above the router. On wifi from my phone the Virgin router is getting 568. When I switch to the XR500 I'm not even getting half that. 180 was the max. Ran another speed test from the PS5 over wifi. 260 from the virgin router. 40 from the XR500. 

The XR500 has no other devices connected just my phone and PS5. The virgin hub has security cameras, 3 firesticks, xboxs, tablets, phones, heating etc... and it's still able to achieve decent speeds. 

I've upgraded the XR500 to the latest build 130, i'm just at a loss as to why the wifi is worse than an ISP router. 

I think the best thing to do in scenarios like this is to factory reset the XR500 and set it up from scratch. It's probably got a lot on information stored from your old package and therefore QoS is still distributing bandwidth accordingly.

If resetting would cause you a lot of admin work, let me know and we can suggest a few things you need to check/update for your new package.

30 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

I think the best thing to do in scenarios like this is to factory reset the XR500 and set it up from scratch. It's probably got a lot on information stored from your old package and therefore QoS is still distributing bandwidth accordingly.

If resetting would cause you a lot of admin work, let me know and we can suggest a few things you need to check/update for your new package.

Hi, I did a complete reset on the router before reconnecting today. Then installed the 130 update before doing anything with it. 

9 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK, could you please run a Connection Benchmark and share a screenshot of the results?

Do you need any more information than this? 

I've also ran a Samknows speed test from the Virgin hub and the differences are very noticeable 

2021-11-08_16h33_52.png

2021-11-08_16h34_10.png

2021-11-08_16h40_21.png

Edited by CDNY18
Just changed my speed limits

Thanks for that!

Could you please completely disable QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control, then let me know if the speeds increase?

It would also be useful to run a third-party speedtest through the device connected to the XR, as we have been seeing Connection Benchmark providing inaccurate speedtest results.