Slow Download On Some Devices

Tripple

Hello, I have issue whereby some devices connected to the NetDuma R2 experience slow download speeds. As an example, on an iPhone connected to the wireless I can achieve around 200 megabytes download, and 50 megabytes upload. If I do the same speed test on an XBOX Series X either wired or wireless the speed appears capped at around 14Mbps, I also experience the same issue on a PC, however a laptop doesn't experience the same issue. I have congestion control set to Never and I have factory reset the device, I cannot identify the cause of the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Liam,  sorry for the delay. I've done some testing and with congestion control off there was no change in speed. In device manager I did however change the Xbox, from an Xbox to a Computer and I seem to be getting much more consistence and increased speeds. I don't know if this is a red herring or if changing the device type in the router alters how it reacts but if it's set to Xbox I can't achieve any more than 14Mbps when performing a game update, if I change this to computer I'm hitting 30-40Mbps when I view the device from the network monitor. This behaviour seems easily reproducible if you change the device type. Is there any downside to changing the Xbox from an Xbox device type, to a Computer device type? Thanks.

40 minutes ago, Tripple said:

Hi Liam,  sorry for the delay. I've done some testing and with congestion control off there was no change in speed. In device manager I did however change the Xbox, from an Xbox to a Computer and I seem to be getting much more consistence and increased speeds. I don't know if this is a red herring or if changing the device type in the router alters how it reacts but if it's set to Xbox I can't achieve any more than 14Mbps when performing a game update, if I change this to computer I'm hitting 30-40Mbps when I view the device from the network monitor. This behaviour seems easily reproducible if you change the device type. Is there any downside to changing the Xbox from an Xbox device type, to a Computer device type? Thanks.

That's interesting, are you able to to a speedtest on the xbox? I'd be interested if it gets the same speeds as we'd usually expect the download of an update to be slower due to the multiple other factors involved. It's odd that changing device type has an effect, I'd suggest you leave it as xbox though I'm afraid as this is best for DPI in QoS and Geo-filter.

Hi Liam, thanks for this. Yes I did a speed test on the Xbox and it also hits 14 Mbps, the same speed as the game update. Thanks for the clarification on the device type, I'll be sure to change it back. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Tripple said:

Hi Liam, thanks for this. Yes I did a speed test on the Xbox and it also hits 14 Mbps, the same speed as the game update. Thanks for the clarification on the device type, I'll be sure to change it back. Thanks.

That's strange, I think the best thing to do now would be to upgrade to the firmware I sent you in relation to your other post then factory reset afterwards. After you've done this, DumaOS should be behaving properly for you and we can see if the issue of speeds is still present.