Create a mesh network using multiple Netduma R2s

Hokey18

Hi,

I'm a beginner when it comes to configuring WIFI networks.  My son has an XBOX ONE and I want to create a mesh WIFI network.  Can I create a mesh WIFI network with multiple Netduma R2s?  Thank You in advance for taking the time to help me (and my son).

Thanks.  I also have an Asus RT-AC86U.  My primary interest is to get my son the performance he needs on his XBOX ONE (which is not close to our primary router).  Can I create an AP for him using one of those routers?  If so, would it be my Netduma r2 with the ASUS as my primary?  I would be able to hardwire his XBOX to the AP router.

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Hokey18 said:

Thanks.  I also have an Asus RT-AC86U.  My primary interest is to get my son the performance he needs on his XBOX ONE (which is not close to our primary router).  Can I create an AP for him using one of those routers?  If so, would it be my Netduma r2 with the ASUS as my primary?  I would be able to hardwire his XBOX to the AP router.

I would suggest you do modem > R2 > Asus in AP mode > Xbox - that way the Xbox will appear as though it is directly connected to the R2 and you can change settings specifically tailored to the Xbox. You would need to connect the Asus to the R2 via ethernet so you still may want to have a look at mesh. You may come across powerline adapters as a workaround but I would highly recommend against that - they work by going through the wiring in your house.

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, Hokey18 said:

Thanks.  I am curious why are you not in favor of the Powerline Adaptor if on the same electric area?

In my experience, they can never handle the speeds they advertise that they can and the connection is not as stable as if you were to be connected directly which I suppose is expected - you're using wiring not intended for that purpose. If your home is newly built then it may perform better, may be worth a try if it would simplify your setup, its just my experience.