Geo Filter question

lilstone87

Well I don't know if this is currently possible, or not right now. I don't own one yet, but I think this is something worth bringing up, and I am sorry if it has been mentioned already. Anyhow I am wondering with geo filter, I know you can block a bad host. But is it possible to block bad connection players within a lobby? I know blocking them would have to take affect after the current game ends. Still it would be really nice, and helpful. If you could block bad connection players within a lobby, from future games with you in it. Because it totally sucks playing against that one player who is lagging badly all over the map during a game.

So if my understanding is correct, the ping feature should make this possible. If you can pull up the ping's for everyone within that lobby, and shouldn't be hard to pin point the bad connection player. As his ping should be high, or his jitter is jumping around big time. I understand there will always be negatives with such features. But if this feature isn't already possible on this router, I think it should be. As this is for us gamer's who are tired of playing with people with bad connections, that are either due to distance, or just having a bad internet connection from there ISP.

Well I don't know if this is currently possible' date=' or not right now. I don't own one yet, but I think this is something worth bringing up, and I am sorry if it has been mentioned already. Anyhow I am wondering with geo filter, I know you can block a bad host. But is it possible to block bad connection players within a lobby? I know blocking them would have to take affect after the current game ends. Still it would be really nice, and helpful. If you could block bad connection players within a lobby, from future games with you in it. Because it totally sucks playing against that one player who is lagging badly all over the map during a game.

So if my understanding is correct, the ping feature should make this possible. If you can pull up the ping's for everyone within that lobby, and shouldn't be hard to pin point the bad connection player. As his ping should be high, or his jitter is jumping around big time. I understand there will always be negatives with such features. But if this feature isn't already possible on this router, I think it should be. As this is for us gamer's who are tired of playing with people with bad connections, that are either due to distance, or just having a bad internet connection from there ISP.

[/quote']

While I totally get where you're coming from , but this opens a whole can of worms that we'd really rather avoid.

Firstly there is numerous reasons why players have a bad connection its not just down to ping, and secondly and more importantly to isolate one particular player in a game is something we wouldn't feel right in going any where near as it is open to abuse. Also it is something we feel the both the first party platforms and especially the game developers wouldn't be comfortable with either.

That aside, hypothetically if we were going to add a feature like this we would need a method of accurately measuring a players connection and t do so would increase bandwidth usage which in itself causes more issues.

Hope this somewhat answers your questions I'm sorry if its a bit vague i have to be on this subject sorry,

Adam,

I appreciate you replying, and I don't mind you being vague at all. However I understand if you don't want to discuss certain thing's regarding this, on a open forums. But I would love to hear more detailed reasoning behind the negatives you see. I am aware of some of them, and I am sure some I may not be. Abusing something is never good, but is abusing the blocking feature, really gonna benefit a player to the point you consider it a way of cheating? As I can't see it, to me it will negatively affect them more then anyone if they abuse it. As blocking a bunch of people, is only gonna severly slow, and limit there search for games.

I completely understand, and respect, if you guy's don't want to get your hands into such a feature. I just know to me it would be cool to not play against players with horrible connections, that are constantly teleporting around the map, and you feel at a disadvantage when getting in a gun fight with them. Anyways like I said above, I would love to discuss this with you, and/or the other netduma guy's. I would welcome discussing in private as well, as I am open, and respectful of other's opinions. But I do like hearing a more detailed reasoning behind difference in opinion on a matter.

Well I don't know if this is currently possible' date=' or not right now. I don't own one yet, but I think this is something worth bringing up, and I am sorry if it has been mentioned already. Anyhow I am wondering with geo filter, I know you can block a bad host. But is it possible to block bad connection players within a lobby? I know blocking them would have to take affect after the current game ends. Still it would be really nice, and helpful. If you could block bad connection players within a lobby, from future games with you in it. Because it totally sucks playing against that one player who is lagging badly all over the map during a game.

[/quote']

Soooooooooo...For Xbox One and Xbox 360, the packets that contain let's say "Gamertags" are encrypted using a key unique to the xbox you own and the secure connection it makes to xbox live...look up (decrypting xbox live packets)...

So they could show you the IP addresses of everyone "in your game" and filter out xbox live IPs, but then you could use that to DDoS people...which netduma is against...

Basically the feature you are requesting is so close to the Black hat side of networking that it's dark grey hat....

If you are speaking about PS3/PS4 they also encrypt things, i don't know the inner workings of their stuff as well as I know xbox live. :)

No not at all, I am sure the Netduma guy's could hide the ip's of all players in the game. Simply on the geo filter map, make it clickable on all player locations. To be able to pull ping stats, so you can watch a constant ping graph for a short period of time, with the option to adding that connection to a deny list. A lot like there feature to add a bad host to the deny list. This is simply adding all players within the lobby, to be able to be put into the deny list. I fully understand not displaying ip addresses of all player's within a lobby. What I am suggesting, does not require Netduma to display any ip address to the user of the feature.

No not at all' date=' I am sure the Netduma guy's could hide the ip's of all players in the game. Simply on the geo filter map, make it clickable on all player locations. To be able to pull ping stats, so you can watch a constant ping graph for a short period of time, with the option to adding that connection to a deny list. A lot like there feature to add a bad host to the deny list. This is simply adding all players within the lobby, to be able to be put into the deny list. I fully understand not displaying ip addresses of all player's within a lobby. What I am suggesting, does not require Netduma to display any ip address to the user of the feature.

[/quote']

Ah didn't read it like that...my bad..

Even still continually pinging might not work, and can be considered a Ping Flood...Once enough users come around...

I do like this as a feature request, maybe giving you a ping map over a game so like pinging them 1 time ever 5 minutes...or something...that's still a lot of ICMP packets..if you were in a game of 20...

Let's think, only do this for 1 device, only do it if you are receiving packets from the IP...shrug...

I do like the idea, in general theory

No not at all' date=' I am sure the Netduma guy's could hide the ip's of all players in the game. Simply on the geo filter map, make it clickable on all player locations. To be able to pull ping stats, so you can watch a constant ping graph for a short period of time, with the option to adding that connection to a deny list. A lot like there feature to add a bad host to the deny list. This is simply adding all players within the lobby, to be able to be put into the deny list. I fully understand not displaying ip addresses of all player's within a lobby. What I am suggesting, does not require Netduma to display any ip address to the user of the feature.

[/quote']

We will never show ips of another player that is something that is way to open to abuse.

Ok so basically the issue for us here is blocking a host is simple, you connect to them a connection is made, to block a player who connects to you if you are for example the host again simple.. To block a player you have no direct connection to is a lot harder and as Abc has already mentioned would make us look like gandalf (pre balrog encounter) in the hat wearing dept.

Without any sort of direct connection you would need to work via 1st party apis and then have to put the feature through 1st party verification (which even for a small indi dev as we'd be considered is major money, and I can tell you now pitching any feature that basically says we want to stop your paying customers from connecting to games will get thrown back at us faster than it would take someone to hit send on their email button.

Thanks again for replying Adam, and I hope you don't think I came into this being simple minded. As I thought about the negatives of such a feature, but we both know connecting to the host only means so much. If others connecting to the host have a lot of distance, or just issue's with there qos from there isp.

Do you know if AW is still p2p to everyone in the lobby like previous cod's? As I know for sure, with ghosts I could easily pull ip's of everyone in a lobby. Possible ip's were coming from the voip side of things though, as I did see ghosts using dedicated servers located in new jersey for us east coast US players, in the early part of game being out.

Anyways I don't think there is much else to discuss on this topic then, but I am sure we will have many more discussions in the future. As I do plan to get one soon, and I will be more hands on with it. Then I can come up with some more wild ideal's maybe...... :)

Do you know if AW is still p2p to everyone in the lobby like previous cod's? As I know for sure' date=' with ghosts I could easily pull ip's of everyone in a lobby. Possible ip's were coming from the voip side of things though, as I did see ghosts using dedicated servers located in new jersey for us east coast US players, in the early part of game being out.

[/quote']

None of the CoD's were P2P in the purest sense of the word...I mean you are connecting to the host so it is Peer (You) to Peer (Them)...

But let's say there are 12 people in the lobby (1 being you) so 11 unique IP addresses. (and you aren't the host)

So you are sending packets to the host constantly (at a high rate) and receiving packets from the host (at a higher rate).

The host notifies you of the other people's IPs with 2 packets every ~30 seconds.

If you are in game chat (or don't have everyone muted) you will receive more packets from everyone in the room...much much more frequently.

This is my knowledge of packets with CoD since CoD 4.

Archived