Double Nat

Boom

I recently have set up my R2 with my Bt smarthub 2 I have put the smarthub into DMZ and entered the IP as I read in a different thread on here but the issue I'm getting is I keep getting double nat on my xbox series x pretty much every time I turn it on after multiple restarts of the xbox Il from a strict to a moderate and sometimes an open reboot of the smart hub and or the r2 sometimes gets me an open nat but I'm spending an hour each time before I can game. I also tried once getting an open nat reserving the ip shown on the xbox in the duma of dchp but I power down my xbox and the next day I turn it on only to have strict or moderate nat type with double nat detected 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

If you have a double NAT it indicates you may have put the wrong IP in the DMZ of the hub. Did you copy the WAN IP from the R2 System Information page and put it in the DMZ as that is the one you need to use.

Thanks man 

I'm pretty sure I did yea when I click on the system info page now the wan ip is the same as the one I have in the smart hub. I'm pretty new at this stuff so sorry if this sounds dumb but would it be showing me that IP on system info now if I put it in wrong in the first place?

• Administrators

Yes it would still show that IP even if you put the incorrect one in the DMZ - now you've double checked it is correct set a static/reserved IP (using the same IP) on the hub so that it doesn't change. Give the R2 a reboot from the interface, connect ALL devices to the R2 and check your NAT status. No need to apologize!

Sorry I had to pop out.

So the wan address is the same and looking at other settings on the smart hub it is already set to "Always use this IP address" the address assignment is DHCP but I don't know how to change this but there is nothing else connected to the hub wired or wireless, would that mean no conflicts would be possible? everything is connected via th R2 (I removed all wireless devices connected to the smart hub from the hub manager, wired devices are connected to r2 from the when i first set it up). Also do I need to turn the WiFi off on the smart hub eventhough nothing is connected to it and I use a wired connection for the xbox? I have reboot the r2 from the UI and booted up the xbox to be met with a moderate NAT type double NAT detected. Does the ipv4 and ipv6 on the smart hub have anything to do with this?

Also looking at the xbox setting the ip is the same as when it with open. And I dunno what this means but there are 2 other devices that have just appeared on the smart hub device list after I rebooted the r2 that are connected via port 1 but they weren't there before both are named unknown device with with numbers after it and where it says private ip address  and the number they both have "static" in brackets these wernt there before and it only give me the option to remove one of them. One of the ip addresses is also strange 

• Administrators

Okay that's fine and shouldn't cause a conflict. I'd suggest disabling the hub WiFi to prevent any devices connecting to it automatically. It shouldn't be possible to get a double NAT the way you've set it up. If you remove the IP from the DMZ, connect the Xbox to the hub - what NAT type do you get?

Is it a MAC address they're showing? Are they the same as the MAC of the R2 (you can check the sticker on the underside of the R2) or are they very similar?

OK THIS is where I'm at when I got your reply. I did switch off the WiFi but while scratching my head alot I unplugged both the hub and r2 rebooted the hub then when it was done plugged the router back in. Looking at the hub manager I could then remove one of them (it had changed from static to dchp and I removed it) and the other one is now showing as xbox with the ip that my xbox has when I check its settings but it previously wasn't showing in the device list on the hub only duma was, it is showing as static still and won't let me remove it. I did a full shut down on xbox and rebooted the r2 from the interface and booted the xbox back up still moderate double nat detected. 

This bit makes me even more confused haha if I go into the xbox listing on the hub (still showing static and the ip i mentioned before) it is saying dmz is enabled but the ip is the wan ip for the r2. I turned dmz off went back out and into the duma and dmz was off on it so I turned it on entered the wan ip again saved changes and went back to look at the xbox listing it and dmz was back on with the duma wan ip. I haven't tried plugging the xbox back into the hub to check the nat but I will do that now but I used to normally get open with the occasional moderate or double nat detected which restarting the xbox and or the hub would normally sort out.

So after plugging the xbox back into the hub I got moderate upnp unsuccessful (UPnP is set to off) I restarted the xbox now I have IPv4 & IPv6 NAT TYPE: open (I didn't switch upnp back on) this is starting to really confuse me lol

No nothing else straight from the wall into the little adult filt thing where the ethernet cable plugs in then that goes to the hub then hub is only got the r2 plugged into it

16255201611248512784702521147014.jpg

I don't remember exactly but I feel I don't remember getting double nat detected when I had the home hub 5 but I defo didn't get open nat all the time with that hub. That's why I was asking if it could be something to do with ipv4 and ipv6 on the smart hub 2 because the home hub 5 wasn't ipv4 enable. What would be a better set up for a modem if I were to ditch the smart hub 6? Do I need it or can I use something that's just a modem only

• Administrators

IPv4/6 shouldn't really affect it, you could use a modem yes and in theory that could help but before we go down that route could you connect directly to the hub and then follow this guide to see whether you have a CG-NAT and let me know the result please?

https://winbuzzer.com/2020/05/29/windows-10-how-to-tell-if-your-isp-uses-carrier-grade-nat-cg-nat-xcxwbt/

I cant connect my laptop with wired connection can I still do this by turning WiFi back on the hub and running it that way or do I need a wired connection