Xbox Series X and XR500 Wired Slow Speed Issues

Apologies if posting to incorrect forum, but this is my current issue.

I have owned an XR500 for a couple of years now. Never any issues on the multiple systems with a wired connection. Consistently reaching close to advertised speeds, Gigablast service. Anyways I was finally able to purchase a Series X on June 16th. I get home, go through the install and begin to download everything back to the console. First thing I notice is the crazy slow download speeds I max out at maybe 9Mpbs down to 54KB. So I do the standard bandwidth test on console to the Seattle servers and get 8Mbps down and 8Mpbs up no packet loss and 30ms ping. I do a speedtest.net test from the console browser ,local and out-of-state ping is terrible. I test my wireless connection from my laptop and my other Xbox, which is wireless, and get 400Mbps. I read on some other MS forums that there were issues upon the release of the console and other people reported slow speeds, but most posts are old and not much follow up. I also read about the quick-resume feature etc causing issues but the thing is I dont even have any games installed yet so there is nothing to pause. So this what I have done so far:

Firmware Version: V2.3.2.40

Nat: Open

Port Forward: Standard Xbox Series X Setup

IPV4 & 6 Active per Xbox Network Status

UPnP Enabled

Xbox assigned a static IP address

QOS Enabled & Geo-Filter Active

I have tried changing out the ethernet cable, works just fine on other devices so that is not it. I changed to a wireless connection on the Series X and get 500Mbps so it works just fine wireless. Skipped past the router and direct connection from cable modem to Xbox and get 950Mbps. Now as I was working through the various testing it was getting late so I did one last reboot, disconnected everything, etc and magically around 2am I was getting my normal fast speeds through the wired connection. So fast forward to this morning and its back to around 9Mbps. I go check my other Xbox that is wireless and get started to download a game and was getting 450Mbps. I am not sure what exactly is wrong or what I am doing is incorrect as I did not change any major settings on the router and it appears to only have an issue when connecting to router with a wired connection. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I'd start by upgrading your firmware version, you're on quite an old one, either to .114 or to the 3.0 beta:

.114 https://kb.netgear.com/000062867/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-114

3.0 beta https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/td-p/2071196/

Secondly I'd check the Xbox is set to shut down fully when you turn it off, if it's in a standby/instant on mode that may be contributing.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have the xxx.114 firmware currently installed. Not sure why I just pulled the firmware version from one of the other tabs and it was showing xxx.40 for whatever reason. I will try the 3.0 beta.

Just a quick question though are there still some issues relating to wired connections on the Series X/S? I mean I see posts relating to it from months ago with no resolution and so far eliminating the XR500, when wired, resolved my issue.

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, CoolNERD said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have the xxx.114 firmware currently installed. Not sure why I just pulled the firmware version from one of the other tabs and it was showing xxx.40 for whatever reason. I will try the 3.0 beta.

Just a quick question though are there still some issues relating to wired connections on the Series X/S? I mean I see posts relating to it from months ago with no resolution and so far eliminating the XR500, when wired, resolved my issue.

Okay keep us posted!

What posts are you referring to exactly? The major ones I'm aware of center mostly around cross play

This is one of the posts on the MS boards. I mean there are various other forums topics with a Google search but this relates to my situation. I could not find anything specific on these forums. Some people report there is a flaw with the quick resume function and background games still running etc but in my case I have nothing downloaded yet to play as I go as low as 56kbps for download speeds. There was someone that posted a fix but that was for some provider in the UK and a smarthub feature or whatever specific to their provider.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/xba_console/series-x-extremely-slow-download-speed/50a08a7a-2168-493a-b86c-25b99c98ce79

Also no changes after installing 3.0. Its stable but no change. Testing wireless connection through the newer duma dashboard shows 482mbps down but then I am still only downloading games at 56kbps and the console test still shows capping at 9.23mbps down and 9.03mbps up. So go figure

• Administrators

Interesting, thanks for that. Can you try re-enabling QoS and making a custom Traffic Prioritization rule for the console

Source 1-65535
Destination 1-65535
Protocol TCP/UDP

and then see what the speed reports please

Ok so this what just occurred. Prior to your recommendation above regarding traffic prioritization, QoS had always been enabled. I did a full system shutdown through the settings menu and changed over to wireless again. It was showing 295Mbps. Then I did another shutdown and went back to wired. Did the test and now everything is ok I just ran it again and getting 933.67Mbps and the download process is showing around 407.77Mbps. I still added your suggestion above to the rule list. So yeah I have no idea what the issue is. I know its not the router or any other hardware. It appears that some setting with the console is getting "stuck" behind the scenes which any kind of understanding on my part is way above my pay-grade :). Anyways I appreciate the prompt responses regarding this matter. 

Again appreciate the hard work you guys do on maintaining the software and support. Appears that until MS can get their act together it will be matter of shutting down and going back and forth from wired to wireless and back to wired. Not the most optimal but it will do.

Have a good weekend.

• Administrators

That's great to hear, thanks for the update. These things can be weird sometimes and then resolve themselves with seemingly no explanation!  You're very welcome, any more issues let us know and we'll be happy to help. Thanks, you too!