Internet Cutting Out

dualshocked

I'm having issues with my NetDuma 2 cutting in and out with internet. I don't seem to ever have this issue on ethernet. I'm running the latest firmware and dual band. I have a lot of devices on my 2.4ghz and not the 5ghz which doesn't seem to have the issue. Maybe I'm overloading the 2.4ghz but how could I prioritize devices? Maybe I have a device with a bad NIC that is corrupting my network? I can upload log files but would prefer to do so on email or DM.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Just to clarify, you've separated 2.4/5GHz so you're not using Mirror Mode is that right? 

Set the WiFi antennae to look like this _ | | _ and use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that. You could also experiment with the width.

Do you have any wireless e.g. remotes, headphones etc or electrical devices within close proximity to the R2? Is the ISP router right next to the R2 and is that WiFi broadcasting?

I'm not using mirror settings. Should I? Currently I have my work laptop connected to 5G and it works smoothly without any issues. When I connect to the 2.4ghz it will cut in and out quite frequently and it is noticeable due to it kicking me from the VPN when the network drops, this doesn't happen on the 5G though. That is why I think I may be overloading the 2.4 or have a device that is corrupting the network because I had the same issue with the ISP router.

I will adjust the antennae and try to do the WiFi analyzer. 

I don't have anything super close to the router. The closest thing is a Razer Deatheradder usb on my desktop a few feet away along with my full desktop setup. On the shelf with my router is my ISP modem, it is only a modem and does not broadcast.

My iPhone XR frequently loses internet but not WiFi connect, as well as my Lenovo T490. I don't use any other devices super frequently on WiFi for it to be noticeable but I do have a Surface Laptop 2 that the issue occurs on. My Roku is not noticeable if it does happen but I don't use it a lot, I have 3 smart lights by Geeni and a GE smart light switch.

• Administrators

Okay so Windows and iOS devices, they do have something in common - disable Private/Random Addresses in the WiFi settings on these devices - so when you're connected to the R2 WiFi click the 'i' next to the network and you can disable it there. On Windows, click properties on the WiFi network and you can disable it there. See if that resolves it please.

Correct. It has been rough lately too. I have changed the SSID of my 2.4 to see if that improves things (via removing all of my devices from the network). I'm partially convinced one of my smart home devices is corrupting the network because I had similar issues prior to getting the duma.

• Administrators

Keep us posted on that, also another user found there seems to be a correlation with how hot the router gets and disconnections, not sure where you're located but it's getting very hot in the UK now. Try to ensure it's not on a surface where it could overheat and make sure it has plenty of air flow. If you get a disconnection see how hot it is