Hybrid-VPN Support

DooMa

Hi Duma-Community,

at the moment I'm trying to understand how the Hybrid VPN works and want to optimize my homenetwork by NetDuma R2. So you guys wrote that R2 is supporting "hidemyass" VPN. My privider is HMA, but the pre-installed feature in R2-VPN for HMA is not working in my case. I choosed the basic option an put in my account details and the status is constantly "connceting". What am I supposed to do? Do I have to get any install file from HMA? This Hybrid-VPN feature should be like a plug and play device. Pop it up, write the details down and go on - or am I missunderstanding that?

Greetings,

Mario

• Administrators

We'll need to update the VPN config files we have and I've tasked the team with doing that. Meanwhile you'll need to obtain the file for the server you want to connect to from HMA and then enter that into the advanced setup of HybridVPN to connect.

Hello Fraser,

I'm new in this game, but it worked perfectly. Thanks alot for the help! The more Im going into that, the more I like it. :)

Is there any Thread where you explain how your congestion control works? I'm mean what exactly happens there? I understand that the ping-, upload- and download-signal are forced as good as possible into phase, but is there any limit connected to your bandwith? Do I have any advantage with the R2 when having a "big bandwith" like a cable connection or does it work independently refered to your bandwith? The congestion control is automatically set up to 99%/99% in my case. In this case I dont understand what this optimization Rapp brings? Does it work like a filter which just brings the waves into phase or is it like a programm manipulating the extreme points (like preventing it / cutting the extrema) of up- and download when the connection is under full load?

Mario

• Administrators

Great to hear that. There is a feature specific tour for QoS you should have been able to run through after the initial setup, you can restart it by clicking the ? icon at the very top of the interface on that page. Also ? icons on each panel will give you information on each feature including Congestion Control.

What do you mean exactly regarding a limit? What are the speeds you pay for/expect? In essence, it creates a buffer of bandwidth that can't be used so that your connection is never saturated and thus preventing you from lagging

I did the tour and I understand the functions to apply them. But I'm trying to understand the system from a theoratical point of view.

The reason why is, I some YouTube Videos I saw that ppl did this congestion control and had had optimizations like Download: 78% and Upload: 50% or somthing like that. In my case I will get like 99%/99% for the best setting. At the moment the waves are in phase by checking it with the connection benchmark. And I want to understand why do I get a setting of 99%/99% and other ppl something like 80%/30% and so on... on which basis depends this feature. How can I maximize the result in that way to have the really best confuguration? However my Upload curve is slightly above the idle ping. The download is fine.

QoS.png

ConnTest.png

• Administrators

Auto Setup is a new feature and therefore still being improved upon. Most people still prefer to manually select percentages after testing to see what works best for them. That's what I would suggest you do as well to try and get rid of that spike on the download for Ping Under Load. Try a percentage run a test then repeat until it is as low as possible. Given your speeds I would estimate you need to lower it more

Thank you Fraser and thank you for the time you are investing on a saturday, I appreciate that.

So I iterativelly tested the values and the results in the pictures are representing the best results by far (not possible to get smoother line-shapes). I observed that, the spikes you see in the pictures below appearing from maxima in reason of the upload stream. The download shape is dependend from the upload-stream. The native line-shape of my upload could be described as an "sawtooth"-shape. In general the upload is kind of odd or in other word really crappy. I think I wont get ridd of some spikes and need to live with that. Or is there any possibility to clear that problem. But just a more important question: Does a value of 10% upload make sense or could it be too low, so I will get problems?

QoS.png

ConnTest.png

• Administrators

Those results are really good considering - remember that is what the ping will be when you've got loads of things going on so having it move up 0.2ms is exceptional really. Your upload is also plenty for gaming which really doesn't use much so I can't foresee any issues there.

Yes, I agree with you. The results are decent. I'm very satisfied by the result. I dont care about the 0.2 ms deviation.

I am just curious about the "regulation" to 10% in the upload case, cause your notification unter 10% said there could be any problems going under a value of 10%.

*Edit: What I mean is the value of the congestion control (upload). Not the deviation when talking about 10%.

Thank you very much, have a nice evening.

Mario