Advice on Plusnet router v Using a modem

JimDuff

Hi all,

I have just today received my Netduma R2. I have connected this straight into my Plusnet Hub One. The Hub One cannot be converted into a bridge/stand alone modem, so it's almost acting like an access point I guess? It is working with no problems, all devices are now going through the Duma (wired and wireless) and I am able to access all the features with the DumaOS

My questions are; is there any benefit to me buying a modem/router to use as a proper modem, or will this setup make do? Are there any drawbacks to this setup? Do I need to keep the Firewall enabled in the HubOne or is the DumaOS firewall sufficient (how does this firewall work)? Shall I put the Duma in a DMZ?

Thank you in advance.

Jimi

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

There is no need to buy anything else, I would recommend:

1. Disabling the Hubone Firewall - the R2 has one built in
  2. Put the R2 in the DMZ of the hub
  3. Set that same IP as static/reserved on the hub

Once you've done that you're good to go!

I don’t think I needed to set an IP as the DMZ recognised the Duma just from name.

So there’s no benefit to having a router in modem mode? And the Hub is okay staying in router mode?

I am asking as I saw in another thread that having a proper modem is better than doing this through DMZ

• Administrators

The IP may change if you reboot the hub or the R2 so would be best to set it just in case, otherwise you may have to update the DMZ later down the line. It's absolutely fine doing it that way, no real benefit as the DMZ passes all traffic straight through to the R2 just like a modem/modem mode would do. I do router and DMZ method with my own setup.