Connection Testing -HELP

I've been having issues with my internet for years now. I've tried everything to get a stable connection and it just doesn't seem to matter what I do. I should be getting 950 Down and 30 up. However I never get that so I lowered the floor to 600/14. What's strange is how latency spikes really high on the download and then progressively gets worse on the upload while under load. Any ideas on what I can do?

unknown.png

Here is my best result so far:

image.thumb.png.ee88dc2ea45ac5a7ea2c215f23cd1833.png

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you have these issues. Who is your ISP, what is the modem/router model that the R2 is connected to? What speeds do you get with a PC direct to the modem using speedtest.net and what do you get from speedtest.net with a wired PC direct to the R2 with QoS off? 

Depending on what your real world speeds are it is unlikely you would be getting bufferbloat. Your base ping however is quite concerning. Could you follow this guide and post the results of what you get direct to the modem please?

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

• 2 weeks later...

@Netduma Fraser thanks for the response and sorry for my delay. Below is the information you requested:

Who is your ISP: Wave Broadband (coax) 

What is the modem/router model that the R2 is connected to? ARRIS SB8200 Modem (This was my replacement due to my previous one having the Puma Chipset issue)

What speeds do you get with a PC direct to the modem using speedtest.net: 

image.png.b3852a4c3ceeec58c56938dd506d041c.png

What do you get from speedtest.net with a wired PC direct to the R2 with QoS off? 

image.png.d69e036396f290533a47b2c47c784646.png

Could you follow this guide and post the results of what you get direct to the modem please?

image.thumb.png.4091106f8d70ea74e4e99df2fa2acc88.png

Ping Plotter when connected to XR1000 router:

image.thumb.png.d448f97f1722006a80ab39b8c4e3b6cf.png

• Administrators

Thanks a lot for the information, it does seem to back up what Connection Benchmark is saying and they're both using Google. Could you re-do the PingPlotter tests but using a local website such as a news site for example and post the results please?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks a lot for the information, it does seem to back up what Connection Benchmark is saying and they're both using Google. Could you re-do the PingPlotter tests but using a local website such as a news site for example and post the results please?

Here is with me connected to the router:image.thumb.png.e4c3ca44dd7343c9f7db763824a1f908.png

When connected only to Modem:

image.thumb.png.72ca35e4568b6e84d793299b4389cabb.png

When looking at the IP addresses it looks like the ping traverses the country twice before coming back to the point of origin! Am I correct on this? IS this normal?

My Location is near Bothell, WA -> Seattle, WA -> Walla Walla, WA -> Kennewick, WA -> Brockton, Massachusetts-> Santa Clara, California -> Kennewick, WA ->Seattle, WA -> Seattle, WA.

So this is Western Washington to Eastern Washington to Massachusetts to California to Eastern Washington and finally back to Western Washington. 

• Administrators

I don't know all the shorthand for the states but I'll take your word for it, there does seem to be an unnecessary amount of hops and your ping spikes are ridiculous. This comes down to the ISP unfortunately so you would need to contact them and see what they can do.

50 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I don't know all the shorthand for the states but I'll take your word for it, there does seem to be an unnecessary amount of hops and your ping spikes are ridiculous. This comes down to the ISP unfortunately so you would need to contact them and see what they can do.

Yeah, my suspicion as well. Unfortunately my ISP is either incompetent or unwilling to fix the issues. I've been providing them details of this problem for 4 yrs now and there isn't any other ISP I can go to. FML