VLAN for IOT Devices on XR500

My home network is currently growing bigger with traditional desktops, laptops, phones and IOT devices (smart plugs, lightbulbs, etc.). I'm a little bit concerned about the security of IOT devices and saw that a good way is to create a VLAN on our home network. In the settings for my XR500, I noticed there's a setting for VLAN. However I am inexperienced with setting one up.

Does anybody have a guide/recommendation on the settings I would need to set up my network such that all IOT devices would be in their own VLAN and would only talk to the Internet and not any of my other devices?

• Administrators

I'd recommend first having a look here: https://kb.netgear.com/24720/What-is-a-VLAN that will provide some more information. How would all these devices be connected? You can apply VLAN to specific ports or one of the WiFi SSIDs. Most when setting up a VLAN for IOT like this will use a switch I believe so they can apply it to that one port.

Thanks for that link. It helped clear up some confusion on how VLANs work. These devices would all be connected wirelessly. Would I still need to use a switch to create a VLAN for these IOT devices or would creating a VLAN via the VLAN tag group be sufficient?

• Administrators

In that case no, just connect all the devices you want to 2.4GHz for example and yes I should think using tag group will work. I've not created a VLAN with devices on the XR so far as it is a NG feature so let us know how you get on!