Recommended modem for R2?

Vxtyrant

Hi all. I’m looking at purchasing the R2 router, mainly for COD: Warzone, but conscious I will also need a modem for it to work. 

I’m currently with Sky broadband in the UK using their standard router and was wondering what my options were. From what I’ve read, it’s not possible to use the current modem/router as a bridge so suspect I would need to replace it with a standalone modem then connect the R2 to that.

What are the recommended modems to use with the R2? Not too expensive please :-)

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

You do not need to use a modem - you can use the Sky hub and connect the R2 to it. Will only require a few changes to optimize them together but you will have internet right away in that setup.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

You do not need to use a modem - you can use the Sky hub and connect the R2 to it. Will only require a few changes to optimize them together but you will have internet right away in that setup.

Ah right. That’s great to hear!

Just a few other questions:

1. My wife requires an IP address range to connect to Ireland for work. Are there any issues using the R2 for this or would that be fairly straightforward to sort?

2. Sky also uses the internet for the phone (we plug it direct into the router) would that setup just stay the same and how would we then connect the R2 to it? (Sorry, I’m not overly tech savvy)

3. What are the changes you mention to get my proposed setup connected?

Many thanks in advance

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Vxtyrant said:

Ah right. That’s great to hear!

Just a few other questions:

1. My wife requires an IP address range to connect to Ireland for work. Are there any issues using the R2 for this or would that be fairly straightforward to sort?

2. Sky also uses the internet for the phone (we plug it direct into the router) would that setup just stay the same and how would we then connect the R2 to it? (Sorry, I’m not overly tech savvy)

3. What are the changes you mention to get my proposed setup connected?

Many thanks in advance

1. Could you clarify more on what exactly is required? 
2. No worries, you could leave it like that (I assume it doesn't use much bandwidth) or presumably it uses an ethernet cable you can connect to one of the R2 LAN ports

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

1. Could you clarify more on what exactly is required? 
2. No worries, you could leave it like that (I assume it doesn't use much bandwidth) or presumably it uses an ethernet cable you can connect to one of the R2 LAN ports

She needs to be able to change the IP address range for example from

192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255

to

192.168.10.1 - 192.168.10.255

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, Vxtyrant said:

She needs to be able to change the IP address range for example from

192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255

to

192.168.10.1 - 192.168.10.255

Yes you can, you would do the following:

In Settings > LAN > Network change the router LAN IP to 192.168.10.1

then 

In Settings > LAN > DHCP > Change the DHCP Range to 192.168.10.2 (omitting .1 as it's reserved for the router) - 192.168.10.254 (as unable to change to .255 as it's also reserved)

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes you can, you would do the following:

In Settings > LAN > Network change the router LAN IP to 192.168.10.1

then 

In Settings > LAN > DHCP > Change the DHCP Range to 192.168.10.2 (omitting .1 as it's reserved for the router) - 192.168.10.254 (as unable to change to .255 as it's also reserved)

That’s great. Thanks for your help today. Best get my order placed ☺️