I want to extend my R2 WiFi range. Options?

The0dark0one

Hi folks. I recently moved into a new house and placed my R2 and my modem in my office with my PC and consoles.  It’s working great but the 5ghz WiFi doesn’t quite reach the opposite end of the house. I’m looking for product recommendations (antennas, extenders, etc.)

Ideally, I want to be able to stream games from my Xbox in my office to my iPhone while sitting on my couch on the opposite side of the house.

Ok so I bought a 100ft cat7 ethernet cable.  I think I can run it through my walls+roof and make it to a closet on the other side of the house. I just need to pick a good access point.  I want to pick something that will support WiFi 6.  Any recommendations?

I'm currently looking at the Netgear WAX204 https://www.netgear.com/media/WAX204_tcm148-109609.pdf

Also, will using this setup like this lose any functionality of the Netduma R2?  For example, will I be able to see all devices on my QoS page?

That would give you Wi-Fi 6 as an access point and it’s worth double checking it can run as an access point. It would also give you a backup router if ever needed.

Its also worth checking out its full WiFi 6 specs, make sure it’s got all the standards like UP and DL OFDMA, full BSS colouring if that’s a concern. 

You will be able to see all devices that connect to it and they will show as wired and you should be able to control them as if they were connected to the R2. 
You may have to lower the transmit power as you might find if you try to set up on the same SSID setup for roaming that the WiFi 6 router may over extend. Roaming might not be as good either but any issues you can always separate the SSIDs.