Using a Vigor 166 as a bridge to a XR500 on a Sky gfast line will work fine right?

Benny Boy

So, Sky Ultrafast (which uses gfast) is being installed in a month. I thought I'd just use my XR500 the same way I do on my Virgin connection ie. Put the sky router into modem mode, connect the xr500 and set it up. 

Nope, the Sky router doesn't have modem mode and so you need a vigor 130 and to put it in bridge mode to avoid double NAT... Unless you're connecting with gfast, which vigor 130 doesn't support. 

So this may be a stupid question but I'd rather sound stupid than spend money and find I'm screwed!

Can I buy a vigor 166 for its gfast support and then hook up the xr500 to it in the same way I'd do with a vigor 130 hooked up to fttc? 

I'm assuming the xr500 doesn't care how the vigor 166 is getting its Internet, as long as its connected. So the xr500 doesn't need to support gfast itself. But hopefully someone will be kind enough to confirm that or tell me I'm a donkey for assuming it. 

Thank you 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

You actually don't need to purchase a modem at all to avoid a double NAT, you could just put the XR IP address in the Sky router DMZ and that will ensure an open NAT. In theory that should be fine, I believe Sky does use MER/DHCP identifiers which you would need to enter into the XR settings. We have quite a few Sky users so they may chime in with more advice.