Latency

I have an XR500 connected to a virgin hub 4 on their gig 1 service. 1000 down, 50 up. Unloaded 10-12ms loaded 15-20ms. 

I get latency, lag, packet loss every game.

My PC is connected via LAN (CAT6), I have every setting for priority traffic on. QOS, Geo filter, PC set as PlayStation etc etc etc. I’ve tried turning QOS off (which defeats the object) sliding the scales. 

Nothing but issues with this routerOS doesn’t work with teams, blocks my work laptop randomly.

Only thing it does is give great WiFi to my doorbell

is there a way a DumaOS tech can remote to a machine and take a look?  

Bear in mind I had no issues with the isp router...

2E3AA90E-649F-4A3A-B160-9E699D051D2A.jpeg

4AD8A4E2-B1B9-4E63-ADA5-2B2726DC965C.jpeg

43E55F76-16A8-405F-93CD-2B7468162D5F.jpeg

• Administrators

You're prioritizing 3 times so disable 2 and keep 1. What is the ping you're getting as shown by the Geo-Filter? Is the V hub in modem mode or router mode? If in router mode have you put the XR in its DMZ? Do you have devices connected to the V hub still?

XR is in the DMZ on the V hub, V hub is in modem mode, nothing is connected to the V hub. Ping in geo ranged from 40’s to 200+

Which of the three is best? Why should all three prioritisation’s not be active together? 

• Administrators

Sorry is it in router mode with the DMZ applied or in modem mode? Both can't be used at the same time. 

What are the lowest ping servers shown to you on Ping Heatmap?

Disable DumaOS Classified Games and one of the manual rules you've added. They all do the same thing so adding it more than once won't help but they may actively conflict with each other and cause lag.

Ahh right well I put the router into the dmz then turned on modem Mode so it’ll just be in modem mode.

I’ll have to have a look at the ping heat map later because I’ve not been able to access duma for the last 40 mins which is another problem. It’s usually around 25ms

• Administrators

Okay thanks! I see your polygon covers quite a few servers, have you adjusted it to just cover that low ping server? I'd suggest turning Ping Assist to 0 also. 

For the interface is that with both dumaos & the LAN IP? What happens when you try to access it?

I have had the Ping assist to 0 with the same effect, it's only 20ms now so I don't mind that being there? The polygon has little impact because the three servers I connect to are always the same (France, Netherlands, Belgium) for some reason I can never get on the UK servers unless I poly the UK.

I have opened ports 3074 - 27036 on TCP/UDP but this doesn't change anything either, tried port triggering too. Nat is open regardless of port forwarding state.

Could it be ISP conflict with Duma? I don't get a single issue when wired to the ISP router. Is there a DumaOS ISP compatibility list?

No idea on the access to Duma it works completely intermittently yes both wirelessly and via the LAN IP.

Currently I'm in a game and the geo filter is saying I have a 15ms ping but I have 45-100+ in game. The Warzone display metric top left of the screen is 65ms.

No idea what else to do.

1412580977_GeoF.thumb.PNG.4147185bcbc86e0512bad98e5e0b29a7.PNG

• Administrators

It sounds like the router is doing it's job then, the ping is your ping direct to the server so the increase in ping is on the server side - 45 I could argue would be the normal processing increase but up to 100 sounds like the server is under load. If you play at different times such as during the day or early morning is the ping better?

OK but if that was the case would the guys I play with would report the same issues?

They see 19-25ms per game no yellow boxes at all. This is what I used to get on the ISP router.

Does Duma conflict with any ISP's?

• Administrators

Possibly they would yes. No it shouldn't conflict with any ISP, if you connect direct to the hub do you get a better ping? 

Could you provide a screenshot of your Connection Benchmark results please? No that doesn't really affect the solution.

• Administrators

So you had a decent ping when playing via the V hub?

That may be the culprit there. Getting a lot of spikes and jitter. Set Congestion Control to Always, change the percentages, do a benchmark test, rinse repeat until you get the Ping Under Load test looking more similar to the Ping Test and I think that will solve your problems.

On 1/29/2021 at 12:00 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

So you had a decent ping when playing via the V hub?

That may be the culprit there. Getting a lot of spikes and jitter. Set Congestion Control to Always, change the percentages, do a benchmark test, rinse repeat until you get the Ping Under Load test looking more similar to the Ping Test and I think that will solve your problems.

Yes V hub ping in game is always under 25ms

As you can see above the router can't even detect the full speed of my connection.

Unfortunately I've been on all weekend trying to resolve this nothing works unless everything is off. Having congestion control set to always just gives me permanent lag and more issues with my work Citrix connection.

As another separate issue I cannot use WiFi calling on the router either, I have to create a guest network, switch to that, then switch back for it to work and even that can be intermittent. 

V hub I have no issues with anything.

I essentially just have a tri band wireless router. Is there a procedure for this system not working as it should and some sort of refund or technical diagnostics by Netgear or the Duma team.

There must be something further I can do.

• Administrators

It won't be throttling the connection, it's just the speed you're getting to the particular server being used. Those spikes other than the initial which is probably an anomaly do look a lot better now. For the VPN and WiFi calling toggle IGMP proxying and SIP ALG in WAN Settings and see if that helps. You'd have to go to the retailer you purchased from to inquire about a refund. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2021 at 11:38 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

It won't be throttling the connection, it's just the speed you're getting to the particular server being used. Those spikes other than the initial which is probably an anomaly do look a lot better now. For the VPN and WiFi calling toggle IGMP proxying and SIP ALG in WAN Settings and see if that helps. You'd have to go to the retailer you purchased from to inquire about a refund. 

I've been through every setting from totally off to on and nothing just constant lag all game, every game.

QOS off and on tried every increment at 10% intervals, geo filtering etc etc 

I've gone back from V3 firmware.

Now I'm stuck on moderate NAT no matter what I try.

Link is a video of my in game ping 4 March 2021 - YouTube all over the place.

Last test done just before I changed to the latest Firmware.

You've told me there must be a solution, what is it because this is just a joke.

Capture1.thumb.PNG.c31d0e282e99f49fba2e93b025844815.PNG

• Administrators

Could you follow this guide please and provide me with screenshots of the results of these tests? http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

1. Direct to modem, no other devices using the internet, Google server - 8.8.8.8
  2. Direct to modem, other devices downloading, streaming etc (if applicable), Google server 8.8.8.8
  3. Steps 1-2 using a local/country specific website as well
  4. Direct to router, no other devices using the internet, Google server - 8.8.8.8
  5. Direct to router, other devices downloading, streaming etc (if applicable), Google server 8.8.8.8
  6. Direct to router, other devices downloading, streaming etc (if applicable), Congestion Control set to Always and 70% for download/upload Google server 8.8.8.8
  7. Steps 4-6 using a local/country specific website as well

Do not use WiFi, always ethernet for these tests.

I realize it is a lot but it will give me a very good idea of the quality/state of your network and then I can best advise.

22 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you follow this guide please and provide me with screenshots of the results of these tests? http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

1. Direct to modem, no other devices using the internet, Google server - 8.8.8.8
    2. Direct to modem, other devices downloading, streaming etc (if applicable), Google server 8.8.8.8
    3. Steps 1-2 using a local/country specific website as well
    4. Direct to router, no other devices using the internet, Google server - 8.8.8.8
    5. Direct to router, other devices downloading, streaming etc (if applicable), Google server 8.8.8.8
    6. Direct to router, other devices downloading, streaming etc (if applicable), Congestion Control set to Always and 70% for download/upload Google server 8.8.8.8
    7. Steps 4-6 using a local/country specific website as well

Do not use WiFi, always ethernet for these tests.

I realize it is a lot but it will give me a very good idea of the quality/state of your network and then I can best advise.

I mean, that is something I can do but what specifically are you looking for? What could be wrong with the settings if I have ping spikes under load but not when not under load which is essentially what is happening. I don't get that on the ISP router.

I have noticed something in there, are you saying Duma is best suited to the Google DNS servers? I am currently running on Cloud Flare 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1 could that be a potential issue?

• Administrators

It will tell me a few things:

• What your base connection is like direct to the modem 
    • What your base connection is like underload
    • How the router impacts the base connection and when underload and how well QoS is working
    • Whether the Google server (which is used for Benchmark) is giving bad results
    • Whether you may need to replace any ethernet cables

It's not best suited to it, it's just what we use for benchmark - having it set differently may skew the results but wouldn't cause a real world issue