Netduma R2 - Lights on but nobody home :-(

RainManLeeds

I previously posted in the thread attached more than once when I had issues with 'Connected, no internet' issues a few times. I then seemed to be reasonably stable for a while, but then last week, the connection just died again kicking myself (working) and my kids (homeschooling) off the internet.

I've tried everything I can think of to bring the R2 back to life with no joy: Powercycled numerous times (leaving of for mins, then days), so although everything seems to light up as it should, the router does not want to seem to get an IP address it seems and no matter what I try WiFi or ethernet cable I'm unable to connect to the router homepage anymore since the issue. Tried a reset on the back also holding the button down for 25-30 secs plus (all the lights went out etc), still nothing.

Help, because at the moment I have an expensive brick.

Hello Fraser,

I've read some of the other posts with people having similar issues, but just to be sure, could you confirm the exact set up you'd like me to test please to ensure I'm testing what you want i.e. Connected to LAN, WiFi, what cables are going where, ports etc from both my Talktalk HG633 and the R2 please.

I think I've tried every combo so far. The R2 is broadcasting WiFi, but connecting to it, it has no internet. Clearly if I've done a reset (after having no joy with any other method) and reading other articles, I now need to run the setup again? Which was an issue when I first got the device due to not being able very easily to get to the router homepage. It did eventually spring to life back then, but now, nothing works.

Re-ran, all my tests that I can think of and based on what has been suggested to other users.

WiFi

- R2 connected to HG633 via Ethernet port. R2 WiFi broadcasting, try to connect via my phone. Result > Endless loop of it trying to connect to the WiFi but getting stuck on Obtaining IP address.
- Repeat above setup, this time connect via my laptop to WiFi. It connects, but no internet. Ipconfig shows Auto Config IPv4 address in the 169. range, bizarre? Default gateway is blank. Cannot connect to R2 router homepage using any of usual addresses 192.168.77.1 or the dumaos one etc posted to other users.
- Remove Ethernet cable from R2 so it is stand alone. Phone, same issue. Laptop, same issue.

LAN
- R2 standalone. Tried cable in Ethernet port and Ports 1-4. Lights all come on, but nothing. Cannot connect to router homepage. Same 169. IP address in IPCONFIG as above, default gateway blank.
- R2 connected back up to my HG633 via the blue Ethernet port. All lights on. Cannot connect to router homepage. Same 169. IP address in IPCONFIG as above, default gateway blank. Tried connected to all 4 ports, no joy, same results.
- Tried a different port on my HG633 which I know is working to connect to the R2 Ethernet port, no change, same 169. IP etc etc. Also tried on Chrome and Edge browser's, no change trying to get to the homepage.

I'm at a loss now, sorry.

• Administrators

Thanks for all that information, just checking but did you ever disable DHCP on the router? The 169 address indicates to me that we will not be able to get it working without a factory reset, I know you've already done one but could you try it again please - holding for 30 seconds, releasing, then waiting 2 minutes before trying to access.

Afternoon Fraser.

Nope, I've never disabled DHCP.

Everything was working fine, then we all just lost connection.

I'd already done at least 2 or more resets, but no harm in trying again.

Have now tried 4 separate additional factory resets (3 with 30+ secs holding, 1 just pressing the button without holding down) and the end result is the same. But I did notice one thing whilst running Ipconfig during the R2 powercycling, part way through that process, the R2 picked up an IP and gateway from my HG633, but by the time the R2 had completed it's reset Ipconfig had defaulted back to the 169. IP address, which I find just weird.

Still at square one I'm afraid, any other ideas left please?

• Administrators

Okay I see a glimmer of hope there! Connect to it via ethernet and open command prompt again. Type

ipconfig /release

and press enter. Wait until it's completed fully then type

ipconfig /renew

and press enter. Wait for it to complete fully, then do ipconfig and see if you get the normal IP address assigned.

Tried that, message:

An error occurred while releasing interface Ethernet: An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint.

In the HG633 router interface the R2 has been assigned an address in the range and seems to think that has an active Ethernet connection with that IP, but on the R2 it clearly hasn't.

• Administrators

Okay do this please, open command prompt and type

netsh winsock reset

press enter, wait for it to complete, type

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

press enter, then do ipconfig again. If it's the same try the /release /renew again please.

Did first command, asked me to restart.

Did that, completed second command, asked me to restart.

Did that, still the same.

Tried release, same address not associated error.

Tried renew anyway, 'An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request timed out.'

Still got the 169. address in Ipconfig.

Update > Getting somewhere:

I've been having a play and decided to reset the router again, grabbed the IP it initially assigned me, manually configured the Ethernet connection (instead of Auto (DHCP), that didn't work.

Instead, decided to manually assign the Ethernet connection that should be in the range of the R2, so assigned 192.168.77.2. Bingo!!! I've managed to get to the router homepage with that weird and wonderful workaround. So I've run the setup, but not convinced all Ok yet, but some progress.

My router is on version 3.0.129, as I was waiting a short bit before upgrading to the new version, so question is, what next? Do I look to upgrade the router whilst I have chance?

Still not convinced when I reset everything, it will be OK because it's still stating No Internet on the Ethernet and I'm connected to my Internet currently via my HG633 on WiFi.

Suggestions on where to go next please?

We're back baby!!!

Upgraded to 179, did factory reset from the menu (not the router reset button).

Set PC Ethernet settings back to Auto, from manual and boom, connected!

Then connected to WiFi from PC and mobile fine.

Ipconfig showing Ethernet and WiFi being served from the DHCP range of the R2 192.168.77.XXX

Screenshot of what I manually configured the Ethernet to be able to connect to the R2 homepage when it wouldn't stop serving the 169. Addresses in case that is helpful for any other users. It wasn't one in the R2 DHCP range as it turns out.

Finger's crossed for now. I think if I get any more issues a new device might be the next stop.

I deserve a beer after that. So time to leave it there for full testing and setup another day.

Thanks for your effort's and prompt response's today Fraser.

_20210123_202054.JPG

• Administrators

That's awesome to hear, thanks for the update and what you did! The ironic thing is I recommend people do that with similar issues to yours and it doesn't always work, the one time I don't and it works, typical! 😂

OK, first real day of connection to the R2 with some devices.

- Mobile, seemed OK I think?

- Laptop, definitely lost connection to the R2 wireless more than once

- Xbox worked fine this morning via LAN, but has NAT issues that need resolving post factory reset.

- Xbox this afternoon wouldn't connect, checked the IP settings and it had been served a 169 address!!!

- Xbox this evening has been served an address from the R2, NAT issues as above to try sort

- On top of that the 5ghz WiFi light has gone off! Perhaps why the laptop disconnected earlier? The router is still saying to broadcast 2.4 & 5 because I haven't changed anything there.

This is all just weird and I'm definitely starting to lose my patience/get frustrated now having spent many hrs yesterday trying to get it working in the first place, then checking stuff again today.