R1 as AP for R2

C00LhandNUK3

Hi,

I bought an R2 because my wifi kept dropping out on my R1. I updated the R1 to the latest firmware, but that didn't solve the wifi and the UI was pretty unstable. On the R2 I have a persistent problem with the UI not loading R Apps. Even if I'm not making any changes or moving from one page to the other, I'm lucky if the R Apps stay operative for an hour. Every time I reset the router, I can hear the wail of one or more of my kids or my wife screaming that I just interrupted their game or streaming. I can't do it anymore (and honestly my family seem to be plotting a coup over the frequent reboots).

So my question is, can I use the R2 for everything but GeoFiltering (QoS etc.) and then hard line the R1 between my XBox and the R2 and use the R1 for GeoFiltering? That way I can reset the R1 whenever the R Apps crash without interrupting the whole house.

On 12/30/2020 at 4:44 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry to hear that but yes you could definitely do that, you would just need to put the R1 in the R2 DMZ to ensure it's still possible for you to get an Open NAT when playing through the R1.

Well it sorta worked. The R2 didn't recognize the R1 (unnamed device) so I set it up as an XBox and reserved the IP address of 192.168.77.201 for it and placed it in the DMZ of the R2. The R1 was still running its own domain of 192.168.88.1 with the XBox and my laptop hardwired to it. I put the XBox in the R1 DMZ. The R2 couldn't see the laptop or XBox on its Device Manager, and didn't recognize traffic on the R1 as triggering QoS, so I had to set it to Always On in the R2. When running speed tests on the laptop and XBox I got maximum throughput as expected based on the Always On/Off settings defined in the R2.

Game play on the XBox was fine when playing solo. Occasionally COD CW would revert to showing a Moderate NAT even when XBox Settings tested an Open NAT. Things got ugly when I tried to play with friends. Even with Filtering turned off and the friends whitelisted, we could never get Party Chat to work. I also had trouble keeping the party in tact once Filtering was turned ON.

On the positive, a few times the R2 stopped loading R Apps and the R1 geofiltering just kept working. When the R1 stopped loading R Apps, I could do a soft reboot without disrupting traffic on the rest of the R2 network.

If there was a simple fix to the Party Chat solution, I might consider this a short-term solution until the next version of firmware for the R2 is released to stabilize R App loading. 

I updated to the most recent R1 beta firmware version about 3 months ago. I think it was 2.3.1.29, but to be sure I'd have to bring the R1 back online. I know it had the option for polygon geofiltering.

• Administrators

It won't be that one then, you will be on the 3.0 beta. Supposedly if you go back to the original firmware, .6j then it works but it is a very old pre-DumaOS version: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000091217-latest-firmwares may need to clear browser cache/cookies to see the interface after doing the downgrade.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It won't be that one then, you will be on the 3.0 beta. Supposedly if you go back to the original firmware, .6j then it works but it is a very old pre-DumaOS version: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000091217-latest-firmwares may need to clear browser cache/cookies to see the interface after doing the downgrade.

It was 3.0.171-071020. I may try it again after downgrading it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

20 hours ago, C00LhandNUK3 said:

It was 3.0.171-071020. I may try it again after downgrading it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Uh oh. I tried downgrading the R1 to firmware .6j. It hung up and never reloaded the page. After 15 minutes I unplugged the R1 and attempted a physical reset. When I try to access the UI it only delivers a MISSING JSON RESPONSE error. Any thoughts?

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Clear the browser cache/cookies and then you should be able to load the interface.

After clearing cache and cookies I get a 404 Error, URL not found and a blank white screen.

On 1/3/2021 at 4:38 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you, you need to access with just 192.168.88.1 as the rest of the URL is specific to DumaOS not .6j and then it will work.

Thanks. I was able to get everything responding again but continued to have issues with party chat. I think at this point I'll call this experiment a partial success. But the other issues it caused make me think I'll just wait for the next update to the R2 firmware. Hopefully it will solve the RApp loading issues.

Thanks again for the help.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, C00LhandNUK3 said:

Thanks. I was able to get everything responding again but continued to have issues with party chat. I think at this point I'll call this experiment a partial success. But the other issues it caused make me think I'll just wait for the next update to the R2 firmware. Hopefully it will solve the RApp loading issues.

Thanks again for the help.

I did nudge Alex about it and someone gave us some potentially very useful information on it so hopefully we can get this resolved soon.