Having issue with QOS or Geo-Filter XR500

Pandemahaos

Hello,

I'm having an issue with QOS or the Geo-Filter keeping me from being able to party with a friend in COD: Cold War. I'm on Xbox One X and he is on PS4. If I have QOS and Geo-Filter on it won't let us party up. Invites from either direction error out when trying to join. There are times where we can party up, but just recently if I'm party lead the game errors out when I launch multiplayer and it breaks up our party. It will only start games if my friend is party lead, when it lets us party up. Last night I disabled QOS and set the Geo-Filter to Spectating mode and we were able to party up and play. Seems like an odd thing for the router to do, but I think it's the issue. I'm hoping I can get some assistance with my settings. Note: we live 80 miles apart in the same State and my Geo-Filter covers my State and a couple neighboring states.

Here is my setup: Comcast Gig Internet > T25 Modem > XR500 on V2.3.2.66 firmware > hardwired to Xbox One X with static IP address set and Open NAT.  I did a factory reset after firmware changes and added all setting manually, no restore.

I added my Xbox to devices in Geo-Filter. I have the map roughly centered around my home location which encompasses my entire State and the distance is set to 553 Miles after choosing the Call of Duty Profile from the dropdown. One thing to note is I don't see much action on the map with Cold War running. I will see one server in my map and one server outside my map and sometimes a peer from outside my State, but most of the time the map is empty. I thought about adding my friend as an exception, but he doesn't show in my map, probably because I will have set it to spectating to join his party.

In QOS I have Anti-Bufferbloat always on, Bandwith 900Mbps down and 45Mbps up, with sliders set to 70% (630Mbps down, 31.5Mbps up). Under Bandwith Allocation I have my Xbox set to 29% down with Bandwith of 185Mbps down and 19% up at 5.91 Mbps. Under Traffic Prioritization I have All Devices DumaOS Classified Games with check enabled and I added my Xbox with the Call of Duty Black Ops 4 profile from the dropdown choices just to make sure my Xbox gets prioritized. Turning this off allows me to join his party.

Under Advanced Settings > Port Forwarding: I added a Custom Service I named Call of Duty and assigned my Xbox static IP and opened the following External and Internal Ports 53,80,88,500,3074-3075,3544,4500 with both TCP/UDP checked. 

I noticed a major improvement in game lag adding the Port Forwarding, so that appears to help. I also notice that QOS is marking prioritized traffic, so it appears to be prioritizing my Xbox traffic.  I'm just confused why I can't party up with my friend with stuff enabled. 

Note: I tried DumaOS 3.0 .104 beta and had similar issues and horrible game lag with QOS and the Geo-Filter on. I also experienced what other users experienced with devices hoping on and off line continuously in Device Manager. They didn't appear to actually lose connection. I declined to try .108 beta as it didn't sound like an improvement. I went back to .66. I miss the extra features 3.0 offers and better Geo-Filter, but QOS seemed really broken as it made playing the game nearly unbearable. Looking forward to a stable DumaOS 3.0 for the XR500.

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

Pandemahaos

• Administrators

When you're in Spectating mode add them to your lobby or chat, have the map zoomed out fully. Look at the map while they are joining, you should see an icon appear (it may appear elsewhere other than where you expect), click that icon and then allow it using the ping panel. Once you've done that, re-enable the Geo-Filter, wait 2 minutes and then you should be able to filter while still being able to hear/play with your friend.

Hi Fraser,

I tried adding my friend last night as you suggested. He joined my party as I watched the filter map. Only two options came up. One in Wyoming with an IP address registered to a company in Canada and the other was further away in Iowa. We tried leaving a re-joining the party again, but still no map activity that looked like him. I also noticed the two pings were still populated on the map after we were done playing and he went offline, so neither one could be him. 

I tried at looking at the map at different Zoom Factors from 2.5 to 15 and saw no difference on the map. My included screen shot was taken at level 5. In options I have miles checked, Strict Mode checked, Auto Ping Host checked, Ping Assist at 38 and Fast Search checked.  I glanced at the map as we were in game and I didn't see any added activity, just the two in my screen shot. It looks like the Call of Duty profile in the dropdown isn't seeing any peers or servers near me. There are no hits in my Filter circle.

Any thing else I should try? Thanks.

geo-filter.JPG

• Administrators

Okay instead this time, have it on Filtering Mode and then invite your friend, it may be more likely to appear on the map if its being blocked rather than allowed and then try to add him. One of those servers was likely the game server, would suggest putting ping assist to 0.

I was able to get the Geo-filter to work while in a party. I believe what fixed it was adding the game server that pings in Iowa. The IP showed up as located in Seattle WA, so not sure why the ping shows in Iowa. The odd thing is my friend still didn't show up on the map while we were partied up. I had added the server before we partying up and we had no issues at all. So it looks like for COD Cold War the game server needs to be Allowed if it is pinging outside the Geo-filter circle. Thanks for the help, this issue was pretty annoying, but turned out to be a simple fix. Happy New Year!