XR1000 custom DNS option?

Like many people, I don't want to be forced to use my ISP's DNS servers. Where is the DNS options in the DumaOS? 

I'd like to use 1.1.1.1 or 9.9.9.9 or even my own pihole DNS server, however I can't see how this is possible under the latest version of Duma on the XR1000. 

currently, I have a couple options

• disable DHCP on the XR1000 and run an external DHCP server to regain DNS options. 
  • keep the DHCP server on the XR1000 and give up my privacy when it comes to DNS.

The most basic of basic home routers let users specify a custom DNS server. I'm disappointed but I'd like to see what the forums say. 

That would mean my Pihole would be public facing and susceptible to internet attack. 

What we really need is the DHCP DNS options available to the user. I don't need to modify the DNS server the WAN settings use, I need to modify what my LAN uses. I'd like to use the DHCP server built-in but it's looking more and more like I will have to use my own DHCP server. 

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, MotFPS said:

That would mean my Pihole would be public facing and susceptible to internet attack. 

What we really need is the DHCP DNS options available to the user. I don't need to modify the DNS server the WAN settings use, I need to modify what my LAN uses. I'd like to use the DHCP server built-in but it's looking more and more like I will have to use my own DHCP server. 

49 minutes ago, MotFPS said:

Not a bad idea to use my own DHCP server anyway. The built in one is extremely buggy!

As it would be behind your ISP/main router that will have a firewall that protects it. You set those addresses yourself, it let you create duplicate reservation addresses for different devices?

My apologies Fraser, I wasn't that clear with my home setup. The XR1000 is the only router on my network. My ISP connection is a modem which provides a single public IP connection. The XR1000 is connected to the single ethernet port on the ISP modem to the XR1000 WAN port. 

Changing the DNS server in the internet settings page on the XR1000 to my DNS server on the LAN results in the error I linked above. My thoughts are this setting is only for WAN facing IPs for public DNS servers. 

I'd like to change the LAN DHCP options to customize the DHCP settings to use my private DNS server on my LAN. Almost all consumer based routers enable the user to do this. Example on uploaded picture. 

It looks like this isn't an option to the user in the XR1000 which is really disappointing. If that's something that can be changed, I'd love to see that feature! 

I will make a separate thread on the DHCP bugs. 

DNS.png

Thanks for clarifying, so I just tried this on the XR500 where the settings are the same. I used 192.168.1.10 primary and 1.1.1.1 secondary and it worked fine for me. Could you try that perhaps and see if it works please?

What happens if you go to add a static dynamic reservation. That's how I was getting that error. 

I then noticed that no traffic was going to my LAN DNS ip. For you, that's 192.168.1.10. Is it actually seeing traffic? My experience was even though it was specified as the primary, no traffic ever made it there. 

The best thing you can do is disable DHCP on the XR1000 and setup DHCP on the pihole in the pihole settings instead. Doing so will have PiHole issue the proper DNS settings to clients. Having 1.1.1.1 as secondary will bypass your PiHole setup in some cases.

Currently running PiHole + Unbound on my XR500 and this is the setup I'm using. I've also went into the XR500 Settings -> Content Filtering -> Block Services and blocked DNS for the DHCP range on my PiHole so clients can't use services outside of PiHole.