Recent random problems with XR500

I’m having some trouble with my xr500, and I’m hoping you all can help me resolve it.

Recently, I started having a few random network glitches: trouble printing to an HP network printer and trouble with my laptop connection dropping in and out. No other devices were having trouble, so I thought it was a problem with these two devices. At some point I realized that the laptop wasn’t pulling an IPv4 address, but other devices were working on IPv4, so I did a clean install of Windows on the laptop.  Even after the clean install, it still wouldn’t connect consistently, so I started looking at the router.

The DumaOS interface was super-slow, so I tried rebooting the router, but that didn’t fix it. I backed up the configuration and did a factory reset of the router. It ran smoothly at first, but when I restored the configuration file, the issues returned. I did another factory reset and set it up again from scratch. It did great for a few days, but now I’m starting to see problems emerging again: I couldn’t get the HP printer to pull an IPv4 address, so I had to put it on a fixed address. (There was even a point where I could access the web interface of the printer through its IPv4 address, but I couldn’t print to it.) My iphone now intermittently says I have the incorrect password for the WiFi network. Does this sound like a hardware failure? A firmware problem? Something wrong in the configuration?

I’m on firmware version 2.3.2.66.  ISP is AT&T gigabit fiber with Arris BGW210-700 gateway set to IP passthrough. (DHCP, firewall, and WiFi off.)  The router configuration is very simple, no VPN, no QoS, nothing connected to USB. Just a handful of fixed IP addresses and DHCP for the rest. I do probably have more devices than the average home (Raspberry Pi’s, multiple computers, tablets, phones, streaming devices, one Xbox, etc.) I’m using a different IP range for the internal network (10.0.0.x) than the one the Arris gateway is on (192.168.1.254), but this worked fine until recently.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. How are the printer and laptop connected via wifi or ethernet?

If WiFi are you using Smart Connect? If so disable this and have the devices connect to 2.4 or 5GHz manually and see if that reduces the issues.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. How are the printer and laptop connected via wifi or ethernet?

If WiFi are you using Smart Connect? If so disable this and have the devices connect to 2.4 or 5GHz manually and see if that reduces the issues.

Both are wireless. I will try turning off Smart Connect to see if that helps. A quick scan of the device list (before turning off Smart Connect) seemed to indicate that all of the wireless devices were on 2.4GHz, even though all the ones I checked support 5GHz. Does Smart Connect not work in this version of the firmware? I’ve never had a problem with it before now.

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, Musicfan145 said:

Both are wireless. I will try turning off Smart Connect to see if that helps. A quick scan of the device list (before turning off Smart Connect) seemed to indicate that all of the wireless devices were on 2.4GHz, even though all the ones I checked support 5GHz. Does Smart Connect not work in this version of the firmware? I’ve never had a problem with it before now.

Smart Connect does work and it will switch devices automatically between 2.4/5GHz depending on their bandwidth needs. The reason I'm suggesting disabling Smart Connect is that some devices have trouble being switch between 2.4/5GHz like that on one SSID.