Internet speeds are slow

Ct2020

Hello,

I recently purchased a netduma r2 and have had a rough start with it. When first starting it up, I didn't have internet access with it. I factory reset the netduma and then reset my modem and that worked. However, now that it's all setup, my internet speeds are extremely slow. I've tried to do a speed test but can't even connect to the website for a speed test. I also went to go and try to download a possible update for the netduma that looked to be about 17 mbs and the download jumped from 1 minute to 17 hours. I tried youtube videos on my smart TV and it also was just constant buffering. Additionally, I tried to look through the forums and tried turning off/disabling QOS to see if it was my internet speeds or the netduma. After turning off QOS nothing changed and it remained the same. I plugged in my old router and everything was fine again. 

Everything is hard wired and plugged in via ethernet cable. My internet provider is AT&T. My download speed is 100 mb/s and my upload is 15 mb/s. The modem I am using is provided by AT&T and is an Arris BGW210-700. I appreciate your time and help with this matter. I'd really like to use the netduma and hope you can provide some support for this! Thanks!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Thank you very much for the detailed information.

Are ALL devices connected to the R2 or are some still connected to the BGW via ethernet or WiFi? If some are still connected to the BGW then they will be pulling bandwidth away from the R2 and could cause the issues you're experiencing. What have you done to ensure an open NAT on the R2 - e.g. have you put the BGW in bridge mode or using the DMZ? If the ports aren't done correctly this could also cause issues. Check the Device Manager table view, what do the link speeds say for the ports? Were you testing via ethernet or WiFi by the way?

I'll do my best to answer all these questions but I'm not too tech savvy lol. 

- The BGW has no devices connected to it outside of the netduma at this time. In fact, I believe the wifi option for it has been turned off since I was never using it and using my netgear router previously. So I'm not sure if this is equivalent to putting it into bridge mode or not. I'm also not familiar with what "DMZ" is, sorry. 

- For device manager table view ( I had to look this up/google so idk if this is the same thing or not) but according to powershell I'll attach a picture of it down below. Hopefully, it's the same thing. 

- I was testing internet speeds via ethernet cable. 

- This morning when I was trying to plug in the netduma r2, everything was fine. Speeds were normal and wifi and everything appeared to be ok. I changed the percentages because I had failed to do that yesterday with regards to to the QOS settings (put it down to 70% as recommended) and things were fine. However, I then boot up my streaming pc (that is also connected to the netduma r2 via ethernet) and then all my speeds went down again and I do not have internet access. Interestingly enough, after turning off my streaming pc and restarting the netduma again, speeds seem to be back to normal. I haven't tried rebooting the streaming pc yet but will in a second just to see. 

- I was able to download the firmware update as well when the speeds were normal. So my netduma r2 is on version 3.0.179 

So, as it appears right now, my internet speeds are higher but aren't quite back to normal.  I was at least able to run a speed test haha and after starting up the streaming pc, internet appears to be stable right now.  I'm going to screenshot my internet speed test down below and QOS settings as well just in case those are needed as well.  I figure more information the better?

image.thumb.png.3fb1754d3e5c0d4bf18598db0a2c5767.png

• Administrators

Regarding DMZ, on the R2 interface go to the System Information page and copy the WAN IP. Then access the BGW interface and enter that into the DMZ function - likely in Security settings or WAN. Regarding Device Manager I meant on the interface but based on the fact your speeds have gone up that likely won't tell us anything. Glad it's getting back to normal, if you disable QoS completely from the Congestion Control 3 line option menu now do you get full speeds?

I disabeled the QOS and speeds are still below what I usually get.   I'm going to attach some of the benchmark test results that I attempted on the Netduma R2 site as well.  Speeds are still very slow but internet is at least up right now and running still even with the other streaming pc booted up. 

I'll post a screenshot down below and also am attaching a screenshot of what I think is the DMZ function?  I wasn't sure which settings to change for this, but when I googled on how to access it, this is where it led me. I changed the "allocation mode to pass through" and then the menu options changed, and I changed the "passthrough mode" to "DHCPS fixed" and from the drop down menu, selected the net duma r2 where it filled in the "manual entry for me but the numbers it auto populated there did not line up with the WAN IP Address you had told me to copy.  I then tried switching the allocation mode to "Default Server" and then it allowed me to choose the net duma r2 again and this time the WAN IP address auto populated.  So, hopefully that is what I was supposed to do? 

975158738_ippassthrough.thumb.png.7951228dc911cd8b0a5ca354c2eb570c.png

Speed Test.png

• Administrators

That should be fine, it was likely using the MAC address previously so if it auto populated with that then that would work. I'd change the DHCP lease there to 7 days. 

Was there an old router that you used prior to this one? If so copy the MAC address of that router and then enter that into the R2 WAN Settings. Sometimes it takes a few days for a new router to be accepted by the ISP and during that time speeds can be reduced. Doing this MAC method counteracts that by making them thing it's the old router.

Ok, I've done that but my internet speeds are still slow.  I also tried to launch Call of Duty Warzone and my nat type went to Strict.  I entered all the ports to forward for call of duty in the DumaOS and put the ip address for my pc in the DMZ.  The NAT type changed to moderate but won't change to open for some reason.