Can NetDuma help me overcome a backend Network Structure limitation?

badamkhau95

To begin, i'm not overly networking-savvy, but I should be able to follow/ research anything you say. I have a 450/450 dual band router, and I have a PS4 hardwired to the router, which is hardwired to the modem in the wall in my room. I also have my PS4 set in my DMZ.

I live in a highrise in a major city. The building was built in the early 2000's and the network infrastructure has apparently not been updated to accommodate the increased bandwidth needs of today's internet users. There is a single switch at the base of the building that feeds directly to mini-switches located in each room. There is no load balancing software, so whatever bandwidth is being pushed to the base switch is distributed (I assume) by necessity moving upwards, meaning the higher-value apartments get the short straw when it comes to prioritization.

I live on the 20th of 26 floors, and any multiplayer matches between the hours of 7p-11p EST are unplayable. For some reason, I show 4 bars, and when I do a connection test, I initially get somewhere in the range of 20mb up/ 20mb down (ISP caps the connection per room at 25/25) 192.168.1.254, but then it drops off considerably as the connection I'm receiving isn't consistent and fluctuates drastically. It's the strangest thing to see, that I get "connection interrupted" messages mid-game every 10-15 seconds, but my ping always is sub-30, it shows 0% packet loss, and my connection shows 4 bars (Black Ops 3). 10.0.0.0.1

The NetDuma is supposed to be for "users with poor internet connection" or "users with many devices connecting to the internet," but I wanted to throw this out there and collect some thoughts. Would the NetDuma be able to help me overcome the network infrastructure limitations of my building?

On a side note, the building is under contract with a commercial ISP, and there is no option to upgrade, and switching to another ISP is impossible (right?) because they would have to utilize the same lackluster infrastructure unless they set up a direct connection into the building in order to control the individual throughput to my room.

Any thought?

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Well it's hard to say initially, from the sounds of it when you're having the game issues the ping is good and there is no packet loss so there shouldn't be an issue there ISP wise. So then I would look at your flat/apartment, the speed is quite slow and so easy to saturate. How many people do you have living in the apartment/how many devices are in use at once?