Devices showing offline when using seperate AP for wifi

BlackShirts_GBR

Hello all.  I just received my R2 yesterday and got it all set up.  A quick note here, the nut holding one of the antenna mounts was loose, so i had to tighten it... no biggie.  The wifi performance was far below what my XR500 has, so what I decided to do was to run my XR500 as an access point and connect it to my R2.  Works amazingly.  However, my devices in device manager all show offline except for what is connected to the switch on the R2.  It also does not show the AP as connected to the switch.   In the network monitor, you can see the devices are connected and using bandwidth as expected.   So, I would expect to be able to see the devices online in device manager.  Again, as far as connectivity, everything seems fine on the device side. Do you have any guidance on this?  I havent tried much today because I am working, but would like to find a starting point so I can work on it later.   Please let me know.  Thank you!

• Administrators

No that shouldn't be necessary. If you take one of the devices connected to the AP, look at the device manager and then run a speed test or video for example on the device, something that uses a lot of bandwidth does it flick over to online?

@Netduma Fraser Running a speed test on my phone did not make is show up.  So, what I did was shut the wifi off on my phone and deleted it from the device manager.  When I reconnected it, it showed up under LAN, as I would expect it to since it is connected to the AP which is connected to the LAN port.   Looks like I might have to shut the AP down, delete the devices that previously existed, and start the AP back up to get them to show properly.  Thoughts?

@Netduma FraserXR500, PS4Pro_LAN, and MyCloud are connected to the switch on the router.  XR500 sometimes shows on LAN, but not very often and for a short time.  All of the other devices are connected to the AP.  Not-Your-Phone is the phone I tested with earlier, (delete and re-add) and it shows online now if I am actively using it.  Any new devices added show up on the LAN as well when they are being used (none shown at the time of screenshot).  However, devices that were added to the R2 before switching over to the access point always show offline. Unless you need more testing, tonight I plan to shut off the AP and delete devices, then turn the AP back on to see if they are showing correctly.  Please let me know.

DeviceMgr_R2_with_AP.png

• Administrators

Thank you very much, that is really helpful, I'll pass it on to a dev. If you add one of the offline devices to Traffic Prioritization for example does it get prioritized? Could you also get a screenshot of the device manager table view of the ones connected to AP?

@Netduma Fraser I got a little trigger-happy and have already deleted the devices so they could be re-added.  I will say that without shutting down the AP, I could not delete devices because they were "online".  I suspect that Traffic prioritization would still have worked because the devices were showing normally everywhere else, just not in the device manager view.  However, that is speculation on my part.  I apologize for my impatience, but I would think that any of this should be fairly easily recreated on your end since both the R2 and XR500 are devices that your team tests with.  It would simply require getting some devices set up on the R2, then disabling wifi on the R2 and adding the XR500 as an AP. 

I will say that XR500 is still showing as offline, even though it is actively being used

tableview.png

@Netduma Fraser I understand.  Worst case, if you need me to reproduce again, I can do it early mornings when no on is awake yet.  Let me know if you need me to.  Im off all next week from work.  It wouldn't be too hard to remove the ap and all devices and start up wifi on the R2 to get some devices there before adding the AP back.  

I’m am also experiencing similar issues with my XR700. WiFi is perfectly splendid 🙏👌 My XR700 shows online all the time but what ever is on my wife shows the devices hardwired. Also my logs are showing data I never seen before. 

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, Deprave said:

I’m am also experiencing similar issues with my XR700. WiFi is perfectly splendid 🙏👌 My XR700 shows online all the time but what ever is on my wife shows the devices hardwired. Also my logs are showing data I never seen before. 

It will show wired as the AP is wired to the router so it can't differentiate that the device is connected via WiFi instead. What do your logs show? - No need to worry about these usually as they are primarily for the developers.

• 4 months later...

I'm having the same issue. I have a tp link archer c9 set up as an AP and it is showing as offline. When I log into it, it says no internet. I think that it is receiving internet though.  I have the AP's SSID, password, and security all set the same as the R2.  My firmware is up to date. I've tried to delete the offline devices and restart the AP but no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Slosh001 said:

I'm having the same issue. I have a tp link archer c9 set up as an AP and it is showing as offline. When I log into it, it says no internet. I think that it is receiving internet though.  I have the AP's SSID, password, and security all set the same as the R2.  My firmware is up to date. I've tried to delete the offline devices and restart the AP but no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Do devices connected to the AP get internet and do they appear as devices on the Device Manager?

Hello and thanks!  So, there are devices that connect to the AP, and I do think that the AP has internet.  The Duma OS is showing that it is offline and it doesn't pick up what kind of AP it is.  If I log onto the AP It says that there are devices connected but can't give me private IP's or MAC's because the AP says that it isn't receiving internet.  I have attached the picture of my environment. 

image_2021-03-09_154543.png

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, Slosh001 said:

So the AP isn't listed as a device?  My Galaxy S9 is connected to the AP but is showing as offline.  Is that right? 

It won't necessarily be listed. The offline issue is something we're looking at but it shouldn't cause any negative effects