Wifi randomly shuts off

Rosales217

I’ve been having this problem on my r2 where my wifi just randomly stops working. The router still gives out a signal but with no internet connection. A quick reboot fixes it, but then it stops working again. Happens randomly, multiple times a week, sometimes even multiple times a day and I don’t know why it’s happening or what to do.

Hello, I used to have the R1 and have this same problem but since I started using R2 have not had this happen. However, last night my speeds were crawling at 1 DL and I called my ISP, we did some troubleshooting which ended up involving factory reset of both my modem and router only to find out it was an ISP problem. So service in my area went down while they worked on it and when I got up this morning I had ethernet but no wifi. So I restarted my router and everything worked perfectly. About an hour or so later I had no wifi and restarting has not fixed the issue. The device manager shows 2.4 as offline but 5 as onine but, still no internet connection. Could you please provide some suggestions to get this back up and running? Thanks so much for your time! Oh and yes I have the latest firmware

8 hours ago, Marisa said:

Hello, I used to have the R1 and have this same problem but since I started using R2 have not had this happen. However, last night my speeds were crawling at 1 DL and I called my ISP, we did some troubleshooting which ended up involving factory reset of both my modem and router only to find out it was an ISP problem. So service in my area went down while they worked on it and when I got up this morning I had ethernet but no wifi. So I restarted my router and everything worked perfectly. About an hour or so later I had no wifi and restarting has not fixed the issue. The device manager shows 2.4 as offline but 5 as onine but, still no internet connection. Could you please provide some suggestions to get this back up and running? Thanks so much for your time! Oh and yes I have the latest firmware

Hey, sorry to hear about the problem you’re having with your router but for me personally once the new firmware update came out (v 3.0.179) i updated my r2 router and factory reset it right after updating as suggested by Fraser via pm. After following those steps my wifi hasn’t randomly stop working, but then again I’ve only recently updated yesterday so only time will tell if the issue persists.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Marisa said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Please upgrade to the new firmware that we have released and then do a factory reset and see if it helps the issue: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/33236-announcement-new-r2-firmware-30179/

4 hours ago, Rosales217 said:

Hey, sorry to hear about the problem you’re having with your router but for me personally once the new firmware update came out (v 3.0.179) i updated my r2 router and factory reset it right after updating as suggested by Fraser via pm. After following those steps my wifi hasn’t randomly stop working, but then again I’ve only recently updated yesterday so only time will tell if the issue persists.

That is great to hear, thanks for the update!

I understand. It's just that I put at the end of my original post that I had already downloaded the new firmware. All good now though, I had someone come over and work on it. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Im still having the same problem of my r2 router disconnecting from the internet. Still happens randomly and I have to reboot multiple times before it connects back to the internet. I’ve reinstalled the latest firmware and have done multiple factory resets which helps for a couple of days but then the problem shows up again. I’ve switched back to my old rax 35 router and ran it for a week to see if it would disconnect but it hasn’t. So that rules out the modem being the issue for me. Idk what else to try, any tips? 

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, Rosales217 said:

Im still having the same problem of my r2 router disconnecting from the internet. Still happens randomly and I have to reboot multiple times before it connects back to the internet. I’ve reinstalled the latest firmware and have done multiple factory resets which helps for a couple of days but then the problem shows up again. I’ve switched back to my old rax 35 router and ran it for a week to see if it would disconnect but it hasn’t. So that rules out the modem being the issue for me. Idk what else to try, any tips? 

Here are the tips I have at the moment until a new firmware is available (which we're testing now):

• Move router away from any electrical devices in the immediate vicinity
  • Make sure it's on a surface where it won't easily overheat
  • Change DHCP Lease hours to 168
  • Disable Syn Flood Protection
  • Disable Mirror Mode for WiFi - give 2.4/5GHz a different name
  • Give devices reserved/static IPs in LAN Settings
  • Give the R2 a static/reserved WAN IP either in WAN Settings or on the ISP modem/router (if applicable)

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Here are the tips I have at the moment until a new firmware is available (which we're testing now):

• Move router away from any electrical devices in the immediate vicinity
  • Make sure it's on a surface where it won't easily overheat
  • Change DHCP Lease hours to 168
  • Disable Syn Flood Protection
  • Disable Mirror Mode for WiFi - give 2.4/5GHz a different name
  • Give devices reserved/static IPs in LAN Settings
  • Give the R2 a static/reserved WAN IP either in WAN Settings or on the ISP modem/router (if applicable)

Thanks for replying quickly! I’ve followed all the tips you gave me except for giving the R2 static ip (can’t change it). Will let you know if they’ve helped. Thanks again! 

UPDATE: Did not help, internet still shut off within same day of me changing settings

Edited by Rosales217
Internet disconnected again

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Rosales217 said:

Thanks for replying quickly! I’ve followed all the tips you gave me except for giving the R2 static ip (can’t change it). Will let you know if they’ve helped. Thanks again! 

UPDATE: Did not help, internet still shut off within same day of me changing settings

Do you have a pure modem (one without WiFi) or a modem/router do you know? Also disable IPv6 in LAN/WAN on the R2.

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay thanks, please disable IPv6 and see if that affects it at all.

I’ve disabled it and followed it with a reboot. Will let you know if anything happens.

Edited by Rosales217
Router has disconnected twice from the internet since last time

so i commented on another thread with this same problem. I was told that the new firmware with a factory reset would help, it didnt. I keep getting kicked off the internet, wifi or hard wired. I am losing tournaments because of it. I am getting very frustrated and am ready to just trash this router.

16 minutes ago, Cbarr12 said:

so i commented on another thread with this same problem. I was told that the new firmware with a factory reset would help, it didnt. I keep getting kicked off the internet, wifi or hard wired. I am losing tournaments because of it. I am getting very frustrated and am ready to just trash this router.

Same, it’s very annoying because i constantly have to either reboot or factory reset and go through and set up all the settings again, so far today alone i’ve had to factory reset the router twice and reboot at least four times by now. I’ve followed the tips fraser gave me but so far none of them have worked for me.

I’ve noticed my router tends to disconnect from the internet when 2 gaming consoles are on at the same time. My router still disconnects from time to time on it’s own but I’ve noticed it disconnects more frequently when 2 consoles are on at the same time. Any reason why???

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Rosales217 said:

I’ve noticed my router tends to disconnect from the internet when 2 gaming consoles are on at the same time. My router still disconnects from time to time on it’s own but I’ve noticed it disconnects more frequently when 2 consoles are on at the same time. Any reason why???

Are they both being prioritized by Traffic Prioritization? Are they connected via the same method i.e. both wifi or both ethernet? Are they both being Geo-Filtered?

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are they both being prioritized by Traffic Prioritization? Are they connected via the same method i.e. both wifi or both ethernet? Are they both being Geo-Filtered?

They’re both wired via ethernet, only one is geo filtered (mine) ,but I usually change it to circle mode if i have trouble connecting to a lobby. Only of the consoles is being prioritized (mine).

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, Rosales217 said:

They’re both wired via ethernet, only one is geo filtered (mine) ,but I usually change it to circle mode if i have trouble connecting to a lobby. Only of the consoles is being prioritized (mine).

Okay could you disable the Geo-Filter and Traffic Prioritization for your device and see if the issue still happens please?