Preparing to setup NetDuma R2 and NETGEAR Nighthawk AC3000 Universal Mesh WiFi Extender (EX8000)

Guest myaccountsbeencompromised

Hi Fellas,

I am new to NetDuma and like love at first site I'm in love while waiting for my NetDuma R2 to arrive loI. I play on my PS4 very often(ok, maybe all day with the pandemic going onand seeing if I can start a career by streaming. I usually play Dragonball Fighterz and soon WarZone with my PC I finished building a few Months ago and haven't touched it yet until my internet speed is working properly after being hacked for 3 Months(Pretty interesting Story) and I'll share the story if anyone is interested or could help. 2 brain is better than 1. Here comes my many questions so please bare with me 🙂.

Currently my ISP is Suddenlink and the only ISP around my neighborhood as my brother says which I already dislike...alot. I purchased a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem + Router (C7000) at first since their website said this model was the best option I call that BS since I am not used to having an ISP keep tabs on you if you pirate because in Los Angeles they sure don't block you if caught. I considered buying a new Modem but before I do I need the best advice and opinion for few reasons. 

My brother won't allow me to have any Ethernet wires running through the house even to his own TV which is literally next to the Modem in the living room...(I know right?🙄) I really want to wire my PS4 and my PC in my room which is at the opposite side from the Modem which is why I purchased a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC3000 Universal Mesh WiFi Extender (EX8000) to be in my room right next to my PS4 which will be changed to PS5 and PC. Would this be the best option? I ask because after discovering NetDuma I recall back in the days running 2 Routers would bump heads and slow down your speed or did it all change after NetDuma was born? 🙃

So would my first Option be the best choice just so I can wire my Devices?

Option 1. Modem: NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem + Router(Model C7000) disabling the built in router in the modem and using NetDuma R2 Router with NETGEAR Nighthawk AC3000 Universal Mesh Wifi Extender(Model EX8000) to wire my PS4 and PC.

The only question for Option 1 is regarding to the Modem. It's a much lower specs with the NetDuma R2 and the Extender...would my performance increase even when the Modem is not as good? Extender is 4K compatible, PS5, PC, and my Monitor as well..it just seems odd the Modem is a lower quality 🤣

Option 2. Just like everyone elses set up but for me instead of 3 devices it would be 4.

Same Modem, XR1000 Router, NetDuma R2 and Mesh Extender. Main goal is to wire my devices..let me know if anything can be taken out or changed for a better choice.

Option 3. Modem: Nighthawk CM2000 2.5 Gbps Docsis 3 Cable Modem, NetDuma R2 and same Mesh Extender.

Please help me make the right choice and which will also give great security if I was not to use VPN. Since I was hacked before to the point it made me look crazy to my own family..especially my brother being a programmer he seems to just brush off that hackers exist but won't believe me when it happened to me just because...why me since I'm not "rich and famous" but I guess common sense don't run through his head that vulnerable and not super tech savvy people would never be targeted which would be the most targeted since it's the easiest...If you guys want to hear the story let me know.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from anyone for a great choice or opinion 😁

P.S. Please educate me why people use 2 Routers now and not just one choice of an XR or NetDuma? Why both? I am itching to know why. I just remember looong time ago it caused issues...what's the big change now?

To be honest once you start running multiple routers and the extender which is the same extender I have it just ends up messy. 
the EX8000 requires DFS channel as a backhaul and the R2 can’t do that due to limits of channels unless you wire it which you can’t do by the sounds of it. The backhaul requires the high router DFS to achieve the max throughput of 1733 or else it drops to 866 and as we know the throughput never reaches those speeds.

The XR1000 will handle the EX8000 but it’s a AC extender and you would lose the benefits of AX on the XR1000. You would require the EAX20 or EAX80 to match the AX of the XR1000. The XR1000 is AX and the PS5 will be AX so you should if the coverage is good receive great throughput but you will be restricted by your isp throughput and the awful Sony network speeds but for gaming it should be fine.

if however you want a nice WiFi coverage, no fuss setup and require seamless connection due to property size I would be looking into a mesh system and Netgear do produce an AX Orbi mesh setup which is simple to use and really a setup and forget. 

security wise AX WiFi uses PMF so it’s more secure. The EX8000 does not have PMF so anything connected to that extender will not be as secure. I’m hoping the AX1000 has PMF, I know my NG AX router has this option. 

What are you isp throughput specs?

• Administrators

Some good advice above. Another option would be to leave the C700 in router mode and get an R2 or XR1000 and a Power Line Adapter, connect the PLA to the C7 and the other in your room and then connect the R2 or XR1000 to it. 

9 hours ago, Newfie said:

To be honest once you start running multiple routers and the extender which is the same extender I have it just ends up messy. 
the EX8000 requires DFS channel as a backhaul and the R2 can’t do that due to limits of channels unless you wire it which you can’t do by the sounds of it. The backhaul requires the high router DFS to achieve the max throughput of 1733 or else it drops to 866 and as we know the throughput never reaches those speeds.

The XR1000 will handle the EX8000 but it’s a AC extender and you would lose the benefits of AX on the XR1000. You would require the EAX20 or EAX80 to match the AX of the XR1000. The XR1000 is AX and the PS5 will be AX so you should if the coverage is good receive great throughput but you will be restricted by your isp throughput and the awful Sony network speeds but for gaming it should be fine.

if however you want a nice WiFi coverage, no fuss setup and require seamless connection due to property size I would be looking into a mesh system and Netgear do produce an AX Orbi mesh setup which is simple to use and really a setup and forget. 

security wise AX WiFi uses PMF so it’s more secure. The EX8000 does not have PMF so anything connected to that extender will not be as secure. I’m hoping the AX1000 has PMF, I know my NG AX router has this option. 

What are you isp throughput specs?

Hi,

Wow..thank your for all the knowledge..I currently don't know my throughput since I can't get into the Internal IP since my brother forgot it and we are planning to start everything fresh this coming week. All i know is i am recieving consistant Ddos which is why we are calling our ISP to do a reset on their end or change ISP. I already purchased the NetDuma and well..the EX8000 is on its way as well lol..oops..I guess I can use it at another place or sell it. I will get back to you tomorrow regarding to the Throughput

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Some good advice above. Another option would be to leave the C700 in router mode and get an R2 or XR1000 and a Power Line Adapter, connect the PLA to the C7 and the other in your room and then connect the R2 or XR1000 to it. 

Ohh I totally forgot about the PLA. Is there any speed difference using a PLA? I heard mix reviews about it. I do have one that my brother doesn't use which is TP-Link AV500 Nano..Not quite sure if this is any good at all. It's a Starter Kit as I'm looking at it right now.

Once everything is connected do I void looking into the Internal IP and handle everything in the R2? Also, can I push more Bandwidth through the PLA or just my devices? I'll test the PLA right now with just the modem I have now until my order arrives.

Just realized in the future I will have to replace this PLA since it's not Windows 10 compatible.

I really want the best Devices and Power. You pay for what you get so I don't mind using some cash.

Edited by myaccountsbeencompromised
PLA outdated for windows 10

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Ace said:

Ohh I totally forgot about the PLA. Is there any speed difference using a PLA? I heard mix reviews about it. I do have one that my brother doesn't use which is TP-Link AV500 Nano..Not quite sure if this is any good at all. It's a Starter Kit as I'm looking at it right now.

Once everything is connected do I void looking into the Internal IP and handle everything in the R2? Also, can I push more Bandwidth through the PLA or just my devices? I'll test the PLA right now with just the modem I have now until my order arrives.

Just realized in the future I will have to replace this PLA since it's not Windows 10 compatible.

I really want the best Devices and Power. You pay for what you get so I don't mind using some cash.

There can be yes but you didn't mention what your speeds are. How good it is really depends on how good the wiring in your home is. You would just utilize the R2 settings yes, the PLA would take whatever it needs from the modem. PLA has nothing to do with Windows 10, it just provides internet, you'll be connecting the PLA direct to the R2 if you decide on that route.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

There can be yes but you didn't mention what your speeds are. How good it is really depends on how good the wiring in your home is. You would just utilize the R2 settings yes, the PLA would take whatever it needs from the modem. PLA has nothing to do with Windows 10, it just provides internet, you'll be connecting the PLA direct to the R2 if you decide on that route.

Regarding to the Windows 10 was because the box was labeled for operation system with a cd. Not quite sure why a cd is needed for this model and since it's my first time using a power line. I tested the Power line with the Modem alone and I had no lag in a fighting match with steady 3fps.😃

So, if I leave the router mode on the C7000 is the Netduma not being used as a router for wifi connections? The router part is confusing me for wifi for other devices in the house and for my brother since his office is next to my room for work because is there a difference if I was to turn off the Router mode on the C7000, connect the PLA and then connect the PLA in my room with the NetDuma Router wifi enabled? Wouldn't I be using the Wifi from the NetDuma that is a better device rather than using the C7000 router mode?

Or is both Devices having router Wifi enabled?  Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume no right? it's been over decades for me using 2 devices because originally when I lived on my own I use to have only a modem with no router mode and purchase a router for wifi...and down the line ISP started providing Modems with Router Mode(this was when roadrunner and them old school ISP was common which is why I am getting confused of my modem router being enabled when I can use the Netduma router wifi enabled and assuming that would be better since it's a better device.. Educate me please if alot has changed that I am missing out on lol.

I'll get the speed information to you guys tomorrow when my brother gets home.

What are benefits of connecting an XR Models and Netduma R2 together since they are both routers? That's something I am also curious to know because of so many youtubes and forums I see with this option.

The R2 needs to be the primary router, if you connect it to a router that is not in bridge mode/modem mode you will get Nat issues and the main router will interfere with the running of the R2 unless you start messing around with DMZ which then has security issues. 

The R2 is classed as a wave 1 device and some use their XR router to handle the WiFi only. The XR is in AP mode and the R2 WiFi is off. 

Things may get messy if your brother has a business and relies on WiFi and a good connection if you turn the main router into bridge mode. Sometimes gaming routers may not be the best option depending on use and setup. 

• Administrators

You can use both if that is what is needed, might be best to do that to start with them both given we're still working on improving the R2 WiFi. Once the update is out then would suggest using just the R2 if the WiFi works for everyone. 

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You can use both if that is what is needed, might be best to do that to start with them both given we're still working on improving the R2 WiFi. Once the update is out then would suggest using just the R2 if the WiFi works for everyone. 

thank you guys. and my speed is 200. not much do to the ISP being expensive in my area. its just having a good modem/router for future purposes when i move and such with better ISP plans.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Please delete my account. my account got compromised when i spoke to someone in playstation thinking he was my actual friend..now i am back to base 1 with my phone also being compromised, email. they were using NETGEAR BUSINESS INSIGHT as i never made an account and to verify to get full access it is being sent to my old compromised email. thanks again guys for your help and all.