VPN kicking me out of network

Hey everyone,

I have an XR450 on the latest FW. I configured it to use VPN, I use Mullvad, and I am having the same issue as this post from last year.

I have ran all the test on this post and I have gotten all the same behaviour.

Basically I am getting kicked out of the internet overnight and my router crashes. What I mean by crashing is that it will not let me load the routerlogin page and when it does the cpu load is very high. I try getting into the VPN menu and it just crashes.

I need to disconnect the modem, and router for a couple of minutes and then reconnect, at which point I am able to reconnect to router login page and disable the vpn before it crashes again. 

Once I do this I need to change the DNS servers back to the ISP ones (I used the ones by mullvad and my pihole usually) in order to get internet back.

Every-time I re enable the vpn it is good all day until I wake up the next day.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Do you leave the VPN indefinitely? How many devices have you added it to and what options did you select for them? Have you enabled the option to block internet traffic if you get disconnected? When it happens can you access using the LAN IP instead?

Hello! 

Thank you for responding.

I do leave it ON all the time(or at least that was the plan). I have all of my devices except for my game consoles and work laptop, they are just on the list I have not blocked any traffic, so everything goes through the vpn.

Yes, I have selected the kill switch option, but I also have tried it without it with the same results after 1 day.

What do you mean by lan IP? Connected directly to router? Or directly to modem?

Hello,

I am able to acces using both routerlogin and the default gateway IP. The problem is that in both cases it takes forever to load the page and once it does, on the overview I can see both CPUs (cpu0 and cpu1) almost at 100%. When I try to open the VPN tab it does not load and takes forver until it crashes saying could not resolve or respond.

As for the configuratio, I have tried both UDP and TCP. Here are both of them, without the server information or the key

client
dev tun
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
verb 3
remote-cert-tls server
ping 10
ping-restart 60
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288