Sluggish browsing while speed tests are great

Hey all,

Recently I ran into issues with my connection and ended up doing a factory reset on the router then reloading by settings from backup file.
Around the same time, my isp (comcast) 'upgraded' our neighborhood so I had them test the signal at my place to rule out any issues on their end and signal is strong.

When I noticed my browsing is very sluggish (I would click on a link or go to a url and it would take 10-20secs for page to start loading, once it starts loading its fine but the spinning waiting is an issue) so I did ping tests to various spots (~30ms to google) and ran speedtests on 4 sites (~800Mbps) so that all looked fine but when I do a tracert to google.com, although the hops and ping times are fine, theres a 3-8sec pause before it shows the host ip/info (the only time it doesn't do this are the hops on my isp side).

Tried rebooting, changing DNS, no luck.

I haven't ran into an issue like this before (speeds are find but browsing has lag). Any idea what could be causing this?

Thought I'd check here before giving up, putting my router in AP mode and just switching comcast's back off bridge.

Thanks!

• Administrators

What router are you using and what firmware are you on? Is this through both wireless and wired devices? When you do a factory reset to rule out issues it is a good idea not to use the backup file as that could contain issues that you may reupload. After the reset did you change any settings or did you experience it right away without changing anything? 

Hey Fraser,

XR500 V2.3.2.56, wired, I don't have any wireless devices (we stopped using the router for wireless as it was unreliable so now we just run wires everywhere and got unlimited data on our phones)

After comcast's 'upgrade' their modem came back on but the router's internet light would stay red. This is when I did the factory reset on the router, the issue didn't resolve so I reset it again and loaded the backup so I wouldn't start from scratch.
I had comcast come out and 10mins before the tech pulled up it connected (white internet light). He proceed to check things outside and check the signal inside and all was good. We rebooted everything, ran multiple speed tests (average 900Mbps) so he went on his way.

Following morning is when I noticed the lag issue while browsing and every couple of days or so it stops working (all lights still good) so I have to unplug and replug the internet cord from the back of the router (one coming from modem) then it works again but the latency issue always remains.

I have not done a factory reset since as I'm working from home and using my phone as a hotspot was a nightmare so was trying to avoid losing internet again.

Cheers

Hey Fraser,

I upgraded to the beta firmware and things were good for 24hrs then back to same issue.

I'm moving this weekend but will be on the same service with same ISP so I'll do a factory reset when setting up there and I won't load my saved settings and see where that leaves me.

Cheers