Geo-filter not actually blocking any connection

Slow-Scoper

New Netduma user here; been trying to get the geo-filtering to work (for Modern Warfare)  but it just doesn't seem to take effect. What I want is to only connect to servers with a certain ping threshold (or if needed, radius can work too) but no matter what settings, it is still connecting to servers as usual. A lot of times, it will show the auto host as peer though even though I am pretty certain I am connected to a dedicated server. 

My setup: Virgin media hub in modem mode => R2 => PC via cable. Strict mode is turned on, Call of duty-PC selected and I've tested with a radius too, but for this test I set the location to nowhere and ping assist to 1 so it shouldn't connect to anything, but it still does:

B301JmP.png

fWpur51.png

Would anyone be kind enough to share an idea of what I could be doing wrong? Your advice is much appreciated!

• Administrators

It looks like it is blocking in that picture as expected, where was the host that you appeared to connect to on the map? Dedicated servers can sometimes be misclassified and show as peers but we can fix that in a cloud.

15 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It looks like it is blocking in that picture as expected, where was the host that you appeared to connect to on the map? Dedicated servers can sometimes be misclassified and show as peers but we can fix that in a cloud.

A server always appears blocked but the actual in game matchmaking seems unchanged; it takes the same (short) amount of time and then connects me to a game. I am actually not sure where the host was but based on the ping I am guessing Germany? 

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

There should definitely be something appearing as allowed on the map, could you zoom out fully on the map and see if it is there?

Okay yeah, my bad! Seems I can't go AFK for more than a few seconds but during the game it does display this:

dlEOEuv.png

17 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Usually when it appears like that it is an authentication server so it might have been whitelisted by accident on our side, could you provide the ID for that server please so I can check it out?

Okay I did another test but this time I actually connected to most likely the UK server, as I had a ping of 20 in Duma OS and 29 ingame, whereas my previous test in Duma OS I had a ping of 42. I really think the blocking itself is not working, I did another test and this was the ID of the auto ping host: 48579863f4e77075

However, when I turned off auto ping and pinged the blocked server in UK, I got the exact same ID. The server in my earlier picture only appears very sporadically, even when actively playing in game and also appears in menus when I am not even searching for a game so I guess it actually is an authentication server? ID of that is ccb9b580566b1d22 but I am barely able to ping this when I am ingame as it barely appears, if at all. Whereas the blocked server is always visible during the game.

• Administrators

Thanks for the information, I'll take a look. Could you post a full screenshot of the Geo-Filter Map completely zoomed out of what it looks like when you're in the game playing please? Then I can more accurately describe what may be happening.

10 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for the information, I'll take a look. Could you post a full screenshot of the Geo-Filter Map completely zoomed out of what it looks like when you're in the game playing please? Then I can more accurately describe what may be happening.

Thank you for looking into it! I did another test just now, it seems it connected to a different server than earlier today;  ID 9618622db5356469.

4nMVLqN.png

onkrqxR.png

• Administrators

Ahh I see what is happening, thank you. Delete your device from the Geo-Filter. In the Device Manager change the device type for the PC to a PlayStation, then re-add it to the Geo-Filter and select manual. Do this while the game is off. Then boot up the game and it should work better.

14 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Ahh I see what is happening, thank you. Delete your device from the Geo-Filter. In the Device Manager change the device type for the PC to a PlayStation, then re-add it to the Geo-Filter and select manual. Do this while the game is off. Then boot up the game and it should work better.

I did that but it seems to yield the same results, rebooted my R2 as well just to be sure. Screenshot is ingame, as before, same server it seems as the previous test.

FESr6xw.png

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Arno said:

I did that but it seems to yield the same results, rebooted my R2 as well just to be sure. Screenshot is ingame, as before, same server it seems as the previous test.

There must be something else allowed when you zoom out of the map because they are blocked so cannot be connected to. Zoom out all the way and move the map around, there has to be something for example on the West Coast of the US.

47 minutes ago, johnnytran said:

sorry for hijacking but shouldn't this server be blocked? i have it as denied but it put me in a game

Were you still on the game when you blocked it originally? If so the connection was probably still active and thus allowed you to connect again before being blocked. You need to wait or turn off the game to sever the connection, wait 2 mins then try.

33 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

There must be something else allowed when you zoom out of the map because they are blocked so cannot be connected to. Zoom out all the way and move the map around, there has to be something for example on the West Coast of the US.

I'm honestly really not seeing any allowed servers.. I just did two more tests, made sure I was active ingame whilst monitoring the map. During both games, one time for less than a second that one server did appear as nonblocked, but this also appears when I login and I can't even click it fast enough when in game to ping.

PqAOk8h.png

This is how it looks continuously while I am playing in-game. The auto ping host says this:

rcMF3Kd.png

Then I turn off auto ping host make sure I do some actions ingame (still the same game) and then ping the blocked server and it appears to be the same:

Ja9T2p9.png

During my second game I got even stranger results, perhaps an outlier but still want to share:

O0NTjZK.png

VEcUOku.png

But the kicker is.. when pinging manually, the ID matches that of the server supposedly located in the US. It definitely wasn't though, based on my ping. But I am able to replicate with every game the pattern of not seeing any allowed server (bar one second during random moments) and the blocked server matching the ID of auto host.

21 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you turn the Geo-Filter on after already being on the game by any chance? If you actually place your location in the UK do they appear as allowed?

No, every setting is unchanged before booting up the game. Okay, I used the radius now and for example this is what Is see during logging on (so no game searching or anything):

hL80WjV.png

However, when in-game, shooting my gun and all, this is what I see most of the time:

agCfoZK.png

However, worth pointing that now I do see that other allowed server pop up more often as well as my player icon:

an6RlKs.png

(I still feel that I am connecting to the blocked server though, based on ping? Most tests I have done so far also had a different ID as auto host)

37 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I've sent you a PM, can you try that whilst I think about what else might be causing it and see if it works please?

Omg yes, that worked perfectly! If I now use no radius and ping assist to 1 it keeps searching for a match (as intended) and when I set it to 30 it connects me to a UK server. What an amazing support, super excited I can now fully use my R2. Thank you so much 😀

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, Arno said:

Omg yes, that worked perfectly! If I now use no radius and ping assist to 1 it keeps searching for a match (as intended) and when I set it to 30 it connects me to a UK server. What an amazing support, super excited I can now fully use my R2. Thank you so much 😀

You're very welcome! Glad that it has been resolved. I'll close this topic now but feel free to open another if needed and we'll be happy to help.