Setting up the Netduma R2. A few questions / problems.

thisisreallife

As a first note, my internet speed isn't great, I get 30 Download / 5 Upload.

-------
Firstly:

My gaming station is in the living room, and my router is in the hallway. So naturally I don't want a long USB wire going through the house, so I purchased this Ethernet Adapter, this is the one I've got:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BECPIMC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using it for a few weeks, and it seems to be fine. But I'm no expert, can this cause lag/jitter/whatever else within the gaming world that I should be mindful of? Should I still use this or switch to WiFi?
--------
Secondly:

When I do a test for Auto Set up through QoS and the test through Connection Benchmark and also the Auto-Setup in Congestion Control, is it best to do this with no other device using my internet? Or is it advisable to do the tests whilst other devices are being used? 

What I mean, is that my partner watches a lot of Netflix (from the Sky box). So I don't want to test it with no one using the internet in the most 'perfect' scenario, and then she turns on Netflix and it messes everything up on my end.

----
Thirdly: 

The Auto-Setup in Congestion Control is inconsistent. I've done the test 5 minutes within each other and get completely different results (with no one using the internet). Why is this happening?

Here's an example:

Test1.thumb.jpg.a5f2db34023a32088e3644f936b60016.jpg

----
Fourthly: 

Under Connection Benchmark, whenever I run a test, I get A+ for speed and A+ for Ping under load, but only A for Ping. How can I get this to A+?

Jitter1.jpg.dc08e35555cc267ba88f8907b67e6aad.jpg

Lastly (phew):

I've heard there's a big update to be released soon. What bugs will it be fixing?

Thanks for your time everyone :) 

• Administrators

I'll be happy to answer your questions:

1. I don't much like Power line adapters as they are very dependent on how good your home wiring (inside the walls) is so there can be a lot of fluctuations with this. If it's running fine then shouldn't be an issue.
  2. You can do it whenever you like during the day to get the best suggestions for that specific time with the network usage that is happening. It should still help to eliminate lag caused by Netflix even if it wasn't being used during the test but would be a good idea to do it when the network is particularly saturated just to be safe.
  3. The test can differ depending on the time of day and also by the internet usage in your local area. It's also a feature that will be consistently improved upon to ensure accuracy.
  4. It's likely you're only getting an A for ping as it's not under 20ms (mine is just under 20 and I get A+)

There will be a lot of focus around improvements for WiFi and issues that people have raised so far, overall it should be much more polished.

22 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'll be happy to answer your questions:

1. I don't much like Power line adapters as they are very dependent on how good your home wiring (inside the walls) is so there can be a lot of fluctuations with this. If it's running fine then shouldn't be an issue.
  2. You can do it whenever you like during the day to get the best suggestions for that specific time with the network usage that is happening. It should still help to eliminate lag caused by Netflix even if it wasn't being used during the test but would be a good idea to do it when the network is particularly saturated just to be safe.
  3. The test can differ depending on the time of day and also by the internet usage in your local area. It's also a feature that will be consistently improved upon to ensure accuracy.
  4. It's likely you're only getting an A for ping as it's not under 20ms (mine is just under 20 and I get A+)

There will be a lot of focus around improvements for WiFi and issues that people have raised so far, overall it should be much more polished.

Thanks for your response.

Another question is this. In simple terms, what's the difference between prioritizing Ping and prioritizing Bandwidth (under the congestin control settings)? 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, thisisreallife said:

Thanks for your response.

Another question is this. In simple terms, what's the difference between prioritizing Ping and prioritizing Bandwidth (under the congestin control settings)? 

So the idea of that feature as a whole is to run some tests on your network and depending on those results, provide you with suggestions that will lower your ping the most. By prioritizing ping it will pick THE best option that keeps your ping as low as possible - even if this gives you 1% of your bandwidth. Prioritizing bandwidth will give you the lowest ping that is possible without throttling your bandwidth really low.