r2 failing to connect to internet

pmg

Hi recieved the R2 today, unfortunately I seem to have been unlucky with the one I have. For starters couldnt connect to the device until I did a hard reset using the button on the device. Having got past that issue  every single rj45 port on the device is incredibly lose bar one or two.Literally the cables are falling out of the device , what concerns me is that looks like a manufacturing defect .Has anyone else seen this? as I'm worried that even a replacement might be the same. Attached a vid on this. I'm not being picky here but have various network switches , netgear ap's and a couple of edgerouters and have never before seen this on another device so lose.

Beyond that it wouldnt connect to my virginmedia network although I suspect this a hardware issue with the ports as if I put stacks of pressure on the cable pushing it into the port the light would flash on .I tapped the led in question  at the end of the vid .Without me pushing the cable in it wouldnt light up .No lights also came on for anything connect on the 1234 ports,but I'm not sure whether thats the case because it hasnt established a connection to the internet.

Obviously very dissapointed as what I had seen of dumaOS with geo location etc looked very interesting hence the purchase.But I've got a device at the moment which cant keep cables in and probably due to this is not connecting to the internet.Examining this in comparison to other devices it looks like the depth is to short on the sockets.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about this and thank you for the detailed explanation and video. I did just check this against my own router (granted could be due to a manufactured difference but bear with me) and I have pretty much the same ethernet cable as you and when I put mine in they seem to go further into the port, I could reproduce what you're seeing if I don't fully push it in. Are you able to push the cable in further until you hear a solid click? It may take more force than you think is necessary. Also do you have any other ethernet cables you can try with?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It may take more force than you think is necessary

understatement of the year in my case , but yep that was it ! although in truth I dont mind a tight fit at all I just didnt want to apply to much force on a new item incase I might break something.... many thanks for your help Fraser