XR500 WiFi Speeds Don't Equal LAN Speeds?

Hi Folks,

I have a NetGear XR500 Router and a Netgear CM1150V Cable Modem with Xfinity. I had Xfinity Blast and just upgraded to Xfinity Extreme 600+ Mbps. After upgrading I powered down the router and then the modem and then after about a minute powered them back up again. I ran the Netgear Nighthawk app on my iPhone 11 and ran the Internet speed test and got 716 Mbps download. I booted up my Gaming PC and got 681 Mbps using Speedtest. I ran the Speedtest app on my iPhone 11 and got only 205 mbps sitting right next to the router (I used to get 250+ Mbps). I went online and using Google search found the DumaOS Optimal Settings Guide: Maximum Bandwidth Speeds. I did everything that it recommended and my speed decreased. I undid all of the changes.

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-maximum-bandwidth-speeds

I then found this forum thread here.

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28166-xr500-slow-wifi-speeds/

I didn't find an answer to my problem in that thread there either. What changes do I need to make to the DumaOS settings to get close to the 600+ Mbps on WiFi that I'm now paying Xfinity extra for? Please advise, thanks.

Roger

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Could you let us know what speeds you get from wired devices please? Also are you using Smart Connect? If so I would recommend disabling that and connecting to 5GHz manually and trying a test.

Hi Netduma Fraser - Thanks so much for the quick response. On my wired high end gaming PC, I’m getting 710+ Mbps. I updated my routers settings based on your recommendation to turn off Smart Connect. I did so and then the router rebooted. After that I joined the new 5Ghz channel on my iPhone 11. With my phone on top of the router I ran the Speedtest app. I went up from about 200 Mbps to 661 Mbps! That did it! My problem has been solved thanks to your great recommendation. You’re a genius. I wish that I could get the same bandwidth everywhere I go in my condominium, but I guess that’s just not realistic is it. You absolutely made my weekend. Have a great one yourself too. Thanks again.

• Administrators

Great to hear that, glad it is working well for you now! Thank you, hope you have a good one too! I'll close this topic now as the issue has been resolved, if you have any more issues feel free to make another topic and we'll be happy to help.