TP-Link Bridge Mode to Nighthawk XR500 Dropouts

Hi all,

Been having a frustrating time with FTTN. I have to use the crappy old telephone line so I can't use the XR500 gaming router without a modem in bridge mode. I tried a Draytek modem and it dropped out so many times in one day I wanted to throw it out the window. I used my old TP-Link VR1600R in bridge mode and it was better, but it still drops. My speeds are awesome, attenuation is great, SNR is good.

Sometimes the DSL light goes out completely, other times the leds appear to be okay, but none of the devices can connect to the net. It's a constant battle of rebooting and long wait times for things to work again.

Aussie Broadband doesn't see drop outs on their end. As a trial, I've had the TP-Link as a router on its own for 24 hours with no drop outs. I'll let it run for another 24 hours. It appears potentially the issue is with the XR500.

I've seen prior posts about DHCP issues, but is that on the LAN or WAN, or both? I don't understand why DHCP would affect the WAN as the IP address comes from the ISP.

I do have some of my LAN devices with a static assigned IP using their MAC addresses on the XR500, while others are on DHCP.

I can't understand why a bridge modem would have a problem as it's just a simple L2 device doing sync and auth.

So I'm looking at the XR500 as the massive problem. I signed up for beta 3.0.

Any advice?

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Could you try the TP Link in router mode, give the XR a static/reserved IP, then put that in the DMZ please and see if that helps. Internal IP addresses renew their lease as well which is why it can have an affect.

I did try to do this but the TP-Link complains about "Error code: 4631. The current settings conflict with the Internet access of the CWMP Service."

I've tried to find where this CWMP option is to turn it off and I cannot find it anywhere.

I download the current firmware from the TP-Link website, but it doesn't tell you what build it is. So I have no idea if I'm up to date or not. TP-Link is doing my head in!!

Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 170630 Rel.49402n Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v1 00000000

I've also had my ISP coming back to me saying the TP-Link is throwing MAC addresses at their DHCP server, which is causing stuck sessions and looks like a drop out on my end.

I've asked them to confirm the source MAC address so I know for sure if it's the TP-Link or the Nighthawk doing this.

My ISP also said just now that they see a heap of MAC addresses from my LAN attempting to make connections out to them.

That seems to be what the issue is. I can't understand why this would be occurring.

It seems when the nighthawk is plugged in as my router, it's throwing MAC addresses out at my ISP stuffing up my connection.

This nighthawk is ridiculous.

Yeah I set the XR to 1.2 but it's irrelevant as I can't get the TP-Link to save the DMZ info.

They gave me some of the MAC addresses. They were varied. My NAS, a smart bulb, a phone, etc. 

Heh. NAT maps layer 3 public to private IPs. My ISP reports a flood of layer 2 MAC addresses when I have the XR500 router going. Two entirely different things.

On 7/31/2020 at 10:19 AM, Shell said:

But I'm not having NAT issues. I'm having Mac addresses being sent to my ISP's dhcp server and it's stuffing up my connection 

Hi mate aussie broadband customer here also on fttn. Its the xr500, aussie has a 30 minute dhcp lease time for the wan and the xr500 is too aggressive which needs a setting like Asus has. Ontop of that, my testing shows that if you have your bridged modem connected to the xr500 wan during a reset, any of the devices connected to the xr500 can grab the wan ip before the router does. Im waiting for the next beta to come out and if its not fixed, the router is going back. There's just to many issues with it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi digz_au thanks for your reply. Yeah seems to be an issue with the XR500 entirely. I've been running without it for a month now and no drop outs. F**king disappointing. My partner wanted this router for the gaming aspects, but to me Netgear don't do anything well other than the dumb switches they make. Can you explain what you mean by the XR500 is too aggressive? In theory if Aussie renew their DHCP too often, a static WAN IP should solve it? For me, Aussie could see a flood of MAC addresses smashing their own DHCP server. Makes no bloody sense to me why a router would do this.

6 hours ago, Shell said:

Hi digz_au thanks for your reply. Yeah seems to be an issue with the XR500 entirely. I've been running without it for a month now and no drop outs. F**king disappointing. My partner wanted this router for the gaming aspects, but to me Netgear don't do anything well other than the dumb switches they make. Can you explain what you mean by the XR500 is too aggressive? In theory if Aussie renew their DHCP too often, a static WAN IP should solve it? For me, Aussie could see a flood of MAC addresses smashing their own DHCP server. Makes no bloody sense to me why a router would do this.

Hi, this is fixed in latest xr500 beta dumaos 3.0. So a fix will be coming for everybody soon. I opted for a static ip but its still distributed via dhcp so no dice. Yep a bug with the xr500 caused this now i don't have any dhcp drop outs even when rebooting via the gui. Hopefully dumaos 3.0 becomes stable soon.

Good to know. I signed up with beta release but got no email about it? Once 3.0 is out I'll give it a try.

Confused as to why this other guy on the thread is going on and on about NAT issues and static DHCP on the LAN side. Ridiculous.