XR500 Interface is "pretty", but how useful?

JADugar

The graphical charts of the DumaOS on the Netgear XR500 are nice to look at, but some of them simply are not realistic when you consider a modern home. All the demos and examples show homes with 4-5 devices connected, so the interfaces are clean an easy to see.

But when you consider a modern home with multiple computers, phones, tablets, TV's, streaming devices, home automation, security cameras, sensors, IOT ... that graphical Network Map gets pretty hard to read. Device names are overlapping on each other making some of the device names impossible to read. Trying to find a device on your network by MAC address is an exercise in frustration with no search/find options in that graphical map. There should be a toggle to view the same info in a table format; additionally let me export the table in CSV.

Also help me understand the QOS.

Past routers I've simply given devices Highest, High, Normal type of settings. If my iPhone was set to highest priority speed test would always show me ~200Mbps speeds. (I know a phone doesn't need this speed, just using it as an example)

With DumaOS I am now allocating bandwidth to the device, but I only get 100% to work with. So if I give the phone 10Mbps, that is all I will ever get? ... even if nothing else on the home network is using my 1Gig Fiber connection? or does the allocation only kick in when there is network congestion?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.https://9apps.ooo/

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

There is a table format, just click the 3 line icon ('burger' menu) in the top left of the Device Manager panel and you can change the view there.

Bandwidth Allocation has by default an option enabled (that we recommend in most cases stays enabled) called share excess. This will allow a device to receive more than its allocation if other devices are using less than their allocation, ensuring that every device can get what it needs when it needs it.