xr700 open nat setting and added geo filter pc vanished

Today i checked the router settings as i do every day.

I noticed that my sons pc had gone from the geo filter all by itself? odd.

Also we been playing cod modern warfare BR mode a bit lately and notice i reproducible bug.

So if i go to wan setting and i check the circle to put open nat under nat filtering.

play for a bit in cod and have open nat, all good right.

well no, because come to the game today and thing had been changed, yet COD had lost open nat on both mine and my sons pc.

so i log into the router and check the nat setting and its still set to open.

So i check the circle for secured, then check the open nat circle, apply it again.

restart COD and we have open nat again.

this can be reproduced without fail for us.

Is this a known issue?

I have not reserved any ips no.

I have FTTP with an ONT box in the upstairs cupboard

I then have a cat 6 cable directly to the XR700

Thats it, the XR700 deals with the wireless and cabled pcs, nothing else is in use. I added the pc again and its in the geo filter again now.

As you already know im PPPOE connection.

• Administrators

Okay so it should be quite easy to get an open NAT. Give both devices a reserved IP in LAN Settings. Are you using the DMZ, Port Forwarding or Port Triggering as well? Are you using the Geo-Filter for both devices and you're checking the NAT status on the game itself is that right?

Hi,

I am using UPNP no DMZ or port forwarding.

I am checking the nat status in COD yes and as i say its reproducible the way i said above.

Port triggering isnt disabled but nothing is added there either.

Geo filtering i have currently set to spectating as when on Apex i connect but loads of times i get error messages, think you said in another thread we needed a cloud update.

Again thanks for the input, i do get an open nat for a while as described in first post but willing to do what you suggest to see if it can remain this way.

Ok gave both pcs a reserved ip and apply it.

kept geo filter to spectating.

turned off both pcs.

rebooted router.

turned pc back on loaded COD and moderate nat again.

checked under wan setup and nat filtering is set to on.

so i checked secured nat instead of open nat and applied it.

Loaded COD back up and nat is was open.

However shut cod down and loaded it up again and its now moderate.

So, change the Nat filtering to open again and loaded COD up and open nat.

shut cod down and load it up again and so far its still open.

This is definatley to do with the nat filtering setting, i will see if the fixed ips help it maintain the open nat now or if it regresses again.

21:05 pm uk time - Ok further evidence, on reboot of the router the nat in cod is back to moderate, once again i go to wan setting and change nat filtering to secure (no apply yet) then back to open then apply it. Load cod back up and bam its open nat again.

There has to be a bug here i can replicate this every time, giving static ip addresses to the pcs has not solved the issue.

ps. put the time in the post to see if the open nat setting loses itself over time or just when router is rebooted.

• Administrators

That is really strange. I know you're not playing games through the Xbox app but when you see the NAT status in CoD go to moderate on your PC settings go to gaming and then Xbox Networking, what does the NAT Type say there? Also to double check, when it says Open on CoD could you perform the same test and see what it says for XBL Muliplayer NAT type in Settings please.

I have open NAT currently on COD, the xbox networking status did say teredo is unable to qualify, so i used the fix option which fixed that and now its open too?

This install of windows is less than 3 weeks ago so clean install.

server connectivity is open and now xbox networking is open, these are when COD has open NAT currently.

Once the kids pull them selves away from their devices i will reboot the router again and see if the open nat is lost or if it remains and update accordingly.

No idea why xbox networking was teredo very strange.

OK

got up this morning loaded up COD and we still had open NAT. 

So i rebooted the router.

Loaded up COD and now i have Moderate Nat.

checked the Xbox networking which also reflects this and states im now teredo Nat Type.

So i goto the router and wan setup - Nat Filtering which shows i should still be on open nat (but im clearly not)

I check the secured option and DO NOT APPLY IT.

re check the open NAT and APPLY IT.

re check xbox networking and its now OPEN again.

Load up COD and its also now OPEN NAT.

SO to clarify, rebooting the router causes the open nat setting under wan setup to not remain in its open state, even though its still checked. un-checking it and re checking it and applying the setting brings back open NAT 100% every time.

I use chrome latest version.

Edit: also to be clear, when i go to the option in the router wan setup - Nat filtering the option is still checked as if its open, its not like its saying its checked as secured.

It remains checked as open even though its not.

Hi,

forwarded those ports to the pcs 1 for each both udp and tcp.

rebooted router to be sure they are working.

loaded up COD 3 times to be sure and moderate nat again.

xbox networking is open and connected.

re applied the open nat under wan settings and loaded up COD, open nat status again.

so the port forwarding didnt work.

Just going to make sure the firewall has all the ports on the pc working as well, can i use UPNP as well as manual port forwarding as sometimes my youngest uses his PS4 as well?

• Administrators

That really doesn't make any sense. I know the CoD reading can sometimes be inaccurate, the console NAT type always stays open is that right? Do you get issues when the CoD NAT appears moderate?

The console hasnt been on for a bit just the 2 pcs, the Moderate nat causes some packet loss issues and almost like a lag effect, which causes less damage in a game and seem to lose more fights.

The xbox for windows you asked me to check shows open, but usually only when i set that open nat setting under wan setup.

What else can i try here? do i re-install the firmware again in case it didnt take well or something?

• Administrators

Sorry my fault. I really can't see why this is happening. That is certainly worth a try, I'd suggest doing it by following this guide. It will allow you to reinstall the firmware before boot, thereby increasing the chances of removing any possible faults/corruptions. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP?_ga=2.163966399.1086892784.1594936010-102731198.1594918840

ok i may have some success, i just did the re-flash before i see your reply, now this is early news but, I forwarded port 3074 to my reserved ip to my pc.

Loaded up cod and open NAT, the wan setting is still on secure i havent changed it yet.

Also this time i had no weird issue when setting up the router after the factory reset to defaults like i did last time.

Xbox networking is open and connected too.

Going to test this further but we may have fixed the issue with the re-flash.

I havent added my pc to the geo filter yet so need to be sure and test further.

Added both mine and 1 of my sons pcs to the geo filter - spectating mode. 

reserved ips for them both.

Port forwarded 3074 and 3075  - 1 for each pc.

loaded up COD and both have open NAT.

Think we may have got there in the end.

• Administrators

That's fantastic, well done for being so thorough, I wouldn't suggest changing the NAT option in WAN Settings, just in case it was linked to that and not properly applying. I'll leave the topic open for now just in case the issue returns but fingers crossed it's solved!

Ok im not sure why but both pcs have now got moderate Nat again on COD, not done anything to the router. 

Restarted both pcs several times and i cant get an open NAT again :(

really odd behaviour, curiously the xbox networking shows open and connected.

ok this gets weirder, just logged into the router and im presented with a netgear wifi configuration complete window? This was all done last night ?

closed that chrome window and opened a new one, logged in and i was on the normal dashboard.

so i then went to the port forwarding and hit apply again even though i changed nothing and i am now open NAT again but my son isnt hes moderate?

somewhere along the way this router seems to forget its settings and i have to re-apply them after a while, although not helped my sons pc this time around?

Sorry for the bad news, do i need to get this replaced i wonder, any way to test the internal memory ?

Im sorry ive started a return for this as its clearly not working as intended.

I just put the ISP Fritz!box 7530 on and setup static IP to both pcs and permitted independent port sharing on a device by device basis,  instantly we have open NAT on both pcs.

As much as i like the features and the way Duma os is presented i cant keep fighting to get it to do basic stuff.

I would like to thanks the helpful Netduma Fraser for all the input and suggestions your a legend.

All the best to all and maybe i will be back in the future who knows.

Take Care all

Regards

Scorps75