Hybried VPN not working as expected

Hi guys,

the hybrid VPN feature was the reason to buy the XR500. Now I'm struggling badly to set it up. My initial idea was to have my NAS behind the VPN. But port forwarding seams not to work, so I can't reach the NAS from outside any longer. Yes, my VPN provider supports port forwarding and in my old setup it worked like charm.

So I thought, lets just send the transmission port 51413 trow the VPN. But then the problem is, if I check the torrent IP with http://checkmyip.torrentprivacy.com/ or https://torguard.net/ I get my SIP IP and not my VPN IP. It means the feature dosn't work I guess:-(

Now the question, is it not working in general, did I do something wrong or do I need to change something?

My settings:

- VPN is enabled, Block Traffic if VPN Disconnects (didn't work as well:-()

- PPnP is off

- Peer Exchange, Port Forwarding, DHT, Local Peer Discovery is all off in Transmission

- DUMAOS version V2.3.2.56

Thanks for any help!

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 11.47.33.png

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you have a good workaround and it will be working but the port you've used there is not the port that the website uses to check the IP address so it will report the usual IP address.

Yep, I just read that Transmission uses random outgoing ports, just the income port can be defined:-/ That's pretty annoying, since it doesn't allow proper firewall configuration.

The third option I'm working on right now is running the VPN on the NAS. The problem there is the NAS has no kill switch feature. So I need to find somebody how can help me with a script witch looks if ppp200 interface is down and if so, kills transmission.

Hi, yea my solution so fare is: I bought a fix IP and Transmission is bound to it. That way if the VPN goes down, nothing leeks.

To have any use of the hibridVPN feature, port forwarding would have to work. Ether from within the VPN to its client or if I exclude certain ports from the VPN, to be able to forward traffic to them.

If you could implement this, that would be great! 🙂