Device Map Link Devices

Unsure if this will already be a thing in DumaOS 3.0 but having the ability to connect two devices nodes in someway to show they are the same device but two seperate interfaces would be quite useful. For example, you may have a sever that provides multiple services via VM's but will be shown as many different nodes on the device map. Having the ability to add them to one master node to show they are apart of the same device would be quite useful for organising and visualising the network.
image.thumb.png.bbcc0c5fe4d2941c26813dfa7379eeab.png
P.S hope you enjoy my awesome paint skills lmao

I agree this would be awesome. I will put this onto our internal roadmap.

Ideally it would be good if DumaOS could figure out which interfaces belong to the same device, but I don't know if we receive enough information from each device to make those decisions reliably.

Perhaps a MERGE button? You choose one device, press MERGE, then choose the second device from the list. Maybe you could then label the interfaces in the side panel, but give the device a master name on top of those interfaces.

Sounds like a good idea maybe you could do that by shift clicking so you can select multiple nodes also would be good if you could assign something to a subnode of the modem as I also have the administration interface connected so being able to connect the two would be really dope.

Maybe management could also get its own category with a icon something like this? 

Administration Linear Icon. Modern Outline Administration Logo C ...

Hmm, that could work... Or maybe click and drag? I discussed it with our design guy and he has raised a few issues with it, such as the distinction between groups and merges being unclear...

Anyway, we will work on this, thanks for the suggestion.

Also forgot to mention that detecting that automatically would be quite hard as they would have seperate mac addresses especially things like vm's as they will have different mac addresses but will be on the same interface. There would also be scenario where having a server on a switch so you couldnt group on interface basis so would have to be a user defined thing really.

Also for merges you could show a little icon to indicate its a link thats like semi transparent like this?

image.png.01c10329658be6f746d83e439c801575.png

4 hours ago, iMoD1998 said:

Also forgot to mention that detecting that automatically would be quite hard as they would have seperate mac addresses especially things like vm's as they will have different mac addresses but will be on the same interface. There would also be scenario where having a server on a switch so you couldnt group on interface basis so would have to be a user defined thing really.

Also for merges you could show a little icon to indicate its a link thats like semi transparent like this?

image.png.01c10329658be6f746d83e439c801575.png

Yeah possibly... I think that using our advanced device detection, it might be possible to make some educated guesses about merges... But if it's less than 100% accuracy we really wouldn't want to implement it.