Unable to block sites and Hybrid VPN question

Hi.

Installed an XR300 on my home network yesterday.  Seems like a nice piece of kit that's really improved my wifi speeds and lag on my xbox. Much better than the Virgin Superhub 3.

However I have a couple of newbie questions 

1. When I'm using "content filtering" to block a website - I've added "www.bbc.co.uk/xxx.html" "bbc" and "www.bbc.co.uk" as keywords but none of the devices on my network have any issues connecting to these sites. Am I doing something silly?

2. On the DumaOS site it says you can add r-apps and I've seen a one called Hybrid VPN that looks great. How do I find r-apps to add?

3. Logs.  THe tooltip says it logs the website that are accessed, but if I access bbc.co.uk, it doesnt appear in the log. I'm a little new to messing with routers so I'm not sure how logs are supposed to apear.

Many thanks

Alex

dumaos1.png

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

To answer your questions:

1. That feature is for HTTP only but as most websites now use HTTPS I don't think this feature will work as well. You may be better off using DDNS for now until DumaOS 3.0 arrives.
  2. That feature isn't available for the XR300 at the moment, the ability to add new features will come with 3.0.
  3. I've never seen the log file doing that specifically but when it does reference connections being made this is shown using an IP address rather than a URL.

I would recommend you sign up for the XR DumaOS 3.0 beta here: http://www.netgearinnovation.com/dumaos-beta/index.html

Also, further question - in the list of installed r-apps, I can see "process manager" and "r-apps store" but these do not appear in the list of r-apps at the left side of the dashboard.  Any ideas?

Cheers