XR500 INTERNET DISCONNECTION ISSUES

Ever since I purchased this XR500 (paired with the Netgear CM1200), the internet has sporadically been disconnecting. Basically, it will disconnect and try to reconnect randomly throughout the day, to the point where it is extremely unreliable. After searching around, this connection issue seems to be common. Is there any fix/solution? I am already upgraded to the latest firmware (via DumaOS panel). 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Does this occur on both wireless and wired devices? Could you look in Settings > Monitoring > Connection status please and let us know what it says for DHCP lease/obtained?

This happens on both wireless and wired devices. The internet essentially cuts out randomly. I sometimes notice it connecting and disconnecting multiple times.

Lease Obtained 4 Days, 0 Hours, 0 Minutes
Lease Expires 3 Days, 9 Hours, 49 Minutes

• Administrators

Could you give some of the devices you notice it happening to a reserved IP in LAN Settings please and see if it continues? Also if you notice it again quickly look in System Information page at the connection status, does it say the router has internet or not?

- It happens to all devices (internet essentially is disconnecting and in win10 on my PC iit shows no network, and I can't access the internet via mobile device either during this time)

- Could you explain to me how to reserve the IP? Also, what is the objective of this (what will it show/solve)? 

- I will check when it happens again in regards to the System Information page 

- Can you explain why the "Lease Expires" is counting down? When this expires, would this perhaps disconnect the internet before renewing another license? 

• Administrators

How to add a reservation for a device:

1. Go to LAN Setup in Settings
  2. Click Add
  3. Click on one of the devices in the table (it will autofill to have the same IP)
  4. Click Add
  5. Repeat steps 2-4 for other devices and when you're done click apply

If the problem is the DHCP Lease for LAN devices (which we've seen before) then when the lease renews it wouldn't apply to these devices and therefore keep them online.

Yes it is possible, the router/WAN is basically given an IP address for a certain amount of time before it changes. Given the stats you provided I don't think it's the WAN lease and is more likely the LAN lease which could be resolved by the steps above.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my XR500 last week. I was having an issue where I was disconnecting around 2-3 times a day. After checking the logs I realized the internet was disconnecting when the lease was expiring and would come back on in 30 seconds to a minute. I had read setting static IPs for devices didn't work. So I made all my dns servers manual plus made my IP static on the router itself. After doing this the connection status went away where I could see when the lease was expiring and I've been connected without a drop for nearly 4 days now.

More then likely the DNS servers had nothing to do with it and the static IP was the fix here.

On 6/21/2020 at 12:28 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

This is likely because it can't make the call to redirect access to that URL, can you access via the LAN IP when that happens? Did my above suggestions help at all?

I tried the LAN yesterday and right now it just disconnected randomly.. so I guess it didn't help

13 hours ago, Mrzaysanders said:

I just got my XR500 last week. I was having an issue where I was disconnecting around 2-3 times a day. After checking the logs I realized the internet was disconnecting when the lease was expiring and would come back on in 30 seconds to a minute. I had read setting static IPs for devices didn't work. So I made all my dns servers manual plus made my IP static on the router itself. After doing this the connection status went away where I could see when the lease was expiring and I've been connected without a drop for nearly 4 days now.

More then likely the DNS servers had nothing to do with it and the static IP was the fix here.

can you explain what the exact steps are? i can try doing this.. however what happens if i don't want to use a static IP in general? is this a router issue? I am getting frustrated over this and I might just buy a new router at this point

• Administrators
8 hours ago, urawzrd said:

can you explain what the exact steps are? i can try doing this.. however what happens if i don't want to use a static IP in general? is this a router issue? I am getting frustrated over this and I might just buy a new router at this point

All the suggestions he mentioned are in Internet Setup - change the DNS to something like 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 and change dynamic to static.

something else i notice is that everytime i turn on my PC, by the time I am in windows the internet is still not established directly with my computer... it keeps disconnecting and connecting.. have to wait a while before it becomes consistent...

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

All the suggestions he mentioned are in Internet Setup - change the DNS to something like 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 and change dynamic to static.

I can try this, but what will it solve? What if I don't want to keep a static IP?

• Administrators

On your PC have you made any manual changes to the network adapter? I don't think it is a DNS issue personally. Unless you have devices that are connected to the ISP router/there is an IP you specifically want for those devices then no harm making a static IP. I asked before but when you get the disconnection try to access the interface via the LAN IP and see what the internet status is in System Information please.

Mine is back to doing the same thing unfortunately. I thought I had fixed it, but I was away for a few days and only could go by the statistics. I'm dropping completely from all devices, wireless and wired. I've set reservations on devices to try them out, same issue. I had IPV6 enabled for a bit, actually disabled that this morning. Still had a drop on all devices. Manually switched DNS serves, I've tried the static IP address, which stopped the logs from saying internet disconnected is all and showing me a lease expire time. I work from home so when I have a drop I instantly check the log to see if I can figure out the issue. Nothing really that I can understand, just shows the logs of devices reconnecting.

I'm convinced it's something to do with the DHCP, I just can't figure out how to make it stop. If it was a simple renewal of the lease, I'd be okay doing that. But it doesn't seem to renew. IF the lease says expired at 59 minutes, I click renew and it says obtained at 59 minutes. It never changes the expiration time. I'm back at normal settings now with nothing other then QoS configured and the lease expires in 30 minutes. Curious to see what happens.

I have not experienced any drops since then. I'm not sure if something was messed up in the router and just needed a reboot or what. I did notice devices were showing offline in the device manager that were online and the network monitor feature wasn't showing proper data either. I've never checked with the lease time. Right now it's expiring every 8 hours and I'm not even sure why. We never get a new IP. The last expire it stayed online though so we'll see going forward.