XR500 bridged with Netgear R6300v2 wired and wireless connection

I upgraded from 2 Apple Airport. The main one connected in my computer room and the other one in bridge mode in my bedroom which then I was able to use the LAN to wire my tv, desktop and PS4. hence the upgrade to this new router. PS4 games would get terrible lag.

My main question is now that I’ve upgraded, I lose my wired connection to my PC and TV and PS4. I do however have an R6300v2 that I can bridge in a similar fashion and have the XR500 as the main router connected to the internet and then use the 5GHz channel to bridge into the netgear R6300v2 and connect my ps4 , tv, PC wired..

. is this a good idea? Or just leave the XR500 and use wireless everywhere. 

my main concern is the dumaOS options and how it will affect my ps4 since I’d be connected wired through the r6300v2 with it. cant directly connect the ps4 to the xr500 as they are in separate room. 

Guest Killhippie
13 hours ago, Jaxxeja said:

I upgraded from 2 Apple Airport. The main one connected in my computer room and the other one in bridge mode in my bedroom which then I was able to use the LAN to wire my tv, desktop and PS4. hence the upgrade to this new router. PS4 games would get terrible lag.

My main question is now that I’ve upgraded, I lose my wired connection to my PC and TV and PS4. I do however have an R6300v2 that I can bridge in a similar fashion and have the XR500 as the main router connected to the internet and then use the 5GHz channel to bridge into the netgear R6300v2 and connect my ps4 , tv, PC wired..

. is this a good idea? Or just leave the XR500 and use wireless everywhere. 

my main concern is the dumaOS options and how it will affect my ps4 since I’d be connected wired through the r6300v2 with it. cant directly connect the ps4 to the xr500 as they are in separate room. 

Can the R6300v2 be used as a wireless repeater? They have to be wired I would have thought as the XR500 and R6300v2 don't have a mesh mode unlike the Asus routers. Neither router has a modem. Also the R6300v2 (I used to have one) is well beyond EOL and not really safe to use online now. You need a modem basically. What modem did you use for the airports?

3 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Can the R6300v2 be used as a wireless repeater? They have to be wired I would have thought as the XR500 and R6300v2 don't have a mesh mode unlike the Asus routers. Neither router has a modem. Also the R6300v2 (I used to have one) is well beyond EOL and not really safe to use online now. You need a modem basically. What modem did you use for the airports?

Yes. If I bridge it then the R6300v2 will work as a wired connection only and I can take advatange of its gigabit functions. Or extend as a WAP but that will cut speeds in half and will work as a DIY mesh. Essentially that’s what I did to the airports and have the other airport be a repeater and extend the wireless. But the xr500 gets decent enough range that I wouldn’t need the r6300 as a repeater. 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I would always suggest if performance is your aim then to try and use ethernet if possible. The XR500 will still be able to control the devices even if they're connected to the R6.

Thanks for the advice. I current have the Netgear R6300v2 bridged and yes you’re right, Netduma recognizes it as a computer but will also recognize my wired PC, although it doesn’t show it as a separate tree. But  the PC is the only thing connected so far as I’m testing speeds and reliability. I guess essentially it’s still “wireless” even though I use the wire so if it cuts in/out then It’s a matter of ps4 performance for me.