XR500 Won't Connect to Virgin Hub 3 Anymore

Hi. Had an XR500 connected to a Virgin Hub 3 in modem mode for over a year with no issues. For the last 2 days, the XR500 is complaining of no internet connection. Have tried everything I can think of with no joy. 

• XR500 running firmware XR500-V2.3.2.56 is showing an orange LED on the Internet light on the front.
  • A PC connected directly to the Virgin HUB 3 via ethernet works perfectly. No internet issues. 
  • I've tried rebooting the XR500 and the Hub 3 several times. Have tried several combinations with XR500 starting first then the Hub 3 ten minutes later, and vice versa.
  • I've swapped the ethernet cable attaching the XR500 to the HUB 3 as well trying as different ports on the Hub 3
  • I've tried a factory reset on the XR500 holding down the reset button for 30 seconds x 3 times. 
  • I've run through the setup wizard using the web gui and just get "Problem detecting the internet connection".
  • The Nighthawk app shows "Cables Connected. Internet Not Connected".

I'm at my wits end trying to get this working again. Any advice is appreciated. 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. When they are connected together can you see a WAN IP in System Information? Likewise can you see on the hub that the router is connected to it?

Hi. Thanks for the response. After the factory reset of the XR500, I can't get past the "Let's set up your router" section of the web GUI so unable to get to the System Information screen to see the WAN IP. On the Virgin Hub, the port that's connected to the XR500 is flashing constantly so assuming that connection is working ok. 

• Administrators

Why can't you get past it? What happens when you're at that stage? What web browser are you using to go through the wizard? Unless you manage to get through that wizard then the internet won't return.

If I go to routerlogin.net I'm redirected to routerlogin.bet/BRS_index.htm where it shows "Netgear XR500 Gaming Router - Applying Internet Connection Settings", then "Configuring Your Internet Connection". I get options to use the Netgear installation assistant to set up the router but this setup process always ends with "Problem detecting the internet connection" and the orange light remains on. This is the part I can't get past so can't reach the System Information screen as I'm always sent to routerlogin.bet/BRS_index.htm using either Chrome or MS Edge. 

Tried again with Edge and went through the setup despite it warning there's no internet connection. Internet status shows "

Connection Type: DHCP

WAN IP 0.0.0.0

Connection Status: Disconnected 

Thanks.

• Administrators

Well done for getting through it with edge. What are the Internet Setup settings at the moment, dynamic? If you access the Virgin hub does it show the XR as an attached device? If you switch the Virgin hub out of modem mode and retry the setup wizard on the XR do you get a connection then?

The DHCP and DNS settings on the XR500 were set to dynamic, yes, if that's what you were referring to?. When the Virgin hub is in modem mode,  the web console doesn't have anywhere that I can see that shows attached devices so can't see the XR or any other connected devices.. With the Virgin hub switched to router mode, I can see the XR500 attached and named over ethernet but I'm unable to ping it or reach it's console on the address the Virgin Hub has given it. Wired and wireless connections are working fine with Virgin Hub in router mode but we bought the XR500 for the increased wireless range so would hope to get past this issue, whatever it is. Thanks.

• Administrators

Yes it was thanks. So even with the Virgin Hub in router mode the XR is unable to get a connection even after going through the setup wizard again? If so reboot the Virgin Hub then wait a few minutes for it too boot properly and then reboot the XR. Sometimes the order in which the routers are booted is important.

Hi again.With the XR500 connected to the hub via Ethernet when the Hub is in router mode, I can run the setup wizard on the XR successfully. I'll try switching it back to modem mode again later. Got a house full of lockdown kids who don't take kindly to network interruptions. 

Not sure I follow. Any chance you could dumb down this last piece of advice a bit for me? Assuming the above works, I really some of the functions of the XR to work like the VPN as the Virgin hub doesn't support one. Thank you. 

• Administrators

Sure!

1. Do not switch the Virgin Hub back to modem mode
  2. Go to System Information on the XR500 - copy down the WAN IP seen in the Internet Status panel
  3. Go to the Virgin Hub interface
  4. Find the DMZ section - probably in Advanced Settings - enter the WAN IP you've previously copied
  5. Disable the WiFi on the Virgin Hub - possibly also in Advanced Settings
  6. Connect all devices to the XR500 

Done!