XR700 R-App issues - Firmware 1.0.1.20

Last night I decided to update my XR700 firmware from ver. 1.0.1.10 to 1.0.1.20. I did a config backup and then factory reset the router. Then I did the update. After the update, I did another factory reset while on the new firmware version. I restored my config backup to the route. Everything was working great and after about 15 minutes I keep getting the "r-app not loading" when trying to use Geo-filter or QoS. I rebooted the router and it all came back up working fine. I was on the Geo-filter for about 20 minutes and it popped up the "r-app not loading" again. I refreshed the browser and it kept returning the "r-app not loading."  I have tested with Chrome and Firefox. I have cleared all browser data /cache. Cookies and Java are allowed and working. I have now factory reset the router and did a fresh setup and I'm still getting the "r-app not loading" after 15+ minutes of using the router. I will have the browser sitting on the Geo-filter screen and it will pop just pop up the error. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do not mine downgrading the firmware. Does anyone know if 1.0.1.18 is stable? 

So this error is still occurring even if you don't restore from your settings backup file?

Could you go to the System Information page, open the side menu on the Installed R-Apps panel, and increase the number of retry attempts to 5.

Also, even though i'm pretty sure this is on the router's end rather than the browser's, could you try using an incognito/private window?

If this doesn't work, i'm thinking we might need to downgrade all the way back to the first firmware, then upgrade again. This should hopefully force a reinstall of the r-apps. We can run through that when we get to it.

Guest Killhippie
5 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

So this error is still occurring even if you don't restore from your settings backup file?

Could you go to the System Information page, open the side menu on the Installed R-Apps panel, and increase the number of retry attempts to 5.

Also, even though i'm pretty sure this is on the router's end rather than the browser's, could you try using an incognito/private window?

If this doesn't work, i'm thinking we might need to downgrade all the way back to the first firmware, then upgrade again. This should hopefully force a reinstall of the r-apps. We can run through that when we get to it.

Patches are not incremental though you should be able to update straight to the latest Alex or is this something you've noticed helps with DumaOS on the XR routers? (never use a backup from old firmware when updating as it may bring low lying changes that don't work with new firmware) If need be just make a text document so you can copy and paste your settings into the router if you ever have to factory reset, and update it as new features are added.

I did what you requested and change it to 5 and then rebooted the router. worked for about 30 minutes and then the R-app not loading started again. I have not been able to downgrade and update the firmware again due to needing the router working until about 10pm CST. what downgrade version doy ou recommend me to flash back to?

I have had this constantly since 1.0.1.10. It seems to be a combination of me having 62+ devices total (on LAN and WiFi) as well as 1gbps internet. The entire management interface will be totally unresponsive once my combined download speeds reach 300mbps (as well as anything more than that).

There just seems to be a bottleneck in the processing somewhere, either CPU or the storage. Guess it could even be RAM speed, but there is certainly plenty of RAM as I've never seen my usage over about 30%.

If you're willing to wipe settings then any of the versions are fair game, though I seem to remember 1.0.1.8 being the most stable on the MGMT interface side. While 1.0.1.10 may have some issues with the web interface it's the most stable for clients and internet usage that I've used in the last year. I'll let you know how 1.0.1.20 does long term for me.

EDIT: fixed versions for clarity and removed my quip about netgear not updating when they pushed one out within the last week X-D

18 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Patches are not incremental though you should be able to update straight to the latest Alex or is this something you've noticed helps with DumaOS on the XR routers? (never use a backup from old firmware when updating as it may bring low lying changes that don't work with new firmware) If need be just make a text document so you can copy and paste your settings into the router if you ever have to factory reset, and update it as new features are added.

I have found that it helps in the past. I'm pretty sure that updates are in fact incremental. I would like there to be a recovery option which would wipe everything and then install firmware.

11 hours ago, slackchain said:

I did what you requested and change it to 5 and then rebooted the router. worked for about 30 minutes and then the R-app not loading started again. I have not been able to downgrade and update the firmware again due to needing the router working until about 10pm CST. what downgrade version doy ou recommend me to flash back to?

I would recommend downgrading to this version: https://kb.netgear.com/000060213/XR700-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-20

Guest Killhippie
3 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

I have found that it helps in the past. I'm pretty sure that updates are in fact incremental. I would like there to be a recovery option which would wipe everything and then install firmware.

That would be a handy feature, if this was automated it would help with problem solving so much, as constant reboots dont do much apart from in the end put  strain on the router or cause flash NAND corruption if its done to often. That recovery option would be so much more useful, especially as not everyone uses Windows or even a PC these days.

I'm still sure Netgears updates are not incremental though, because if you buy a router that's been on the shelves for ages you can update straight to the latest firmware version and all changes are included, its always been that way with Netgear routers. If not it would ask you to update each one first and that's never been the case from what I remember. Maybe it helps with DumaOS more so than Netgears side. I'll ask Voxel as he has his own Netgear fork and see what he thinks. If nothing else it cant do any harm to be cautious. :)

Guest Killhippie
8 hours ago, blackJaxs said:

IIf you're willing to wipe settings then any of the versions are fair game, though I seem to remember 1.0.1.8 being the most stable on the MGMT interface side. While 1.0.1.10 may have some issues with the web interface it's the most stable for clients and internet usage that I've used in the last year. I'll let you know how 1.0.1.20 does long term for me.

The problem with using old versions is you can put yourself at risk from unpatched security updates, like on the XR500 they patched the kernel for a nasty bug in .56, so you need to keep secure as that box is normally your first line of defence but this also means you can end up stuck with buggy firmware.

So last night instead of fighting with the issue right now. I downgraded back to firmware ver. 1.0.1.10 and all is well again. I do not want to fight with issues due to time this week. Next week I will have the time to waste.  I do not mind flashing back to 1.0.0.20 and then flash to 1.0.1.20 if that will fix it and it is a stable firmware. If someone is aware of a stable firmware build without having security risk please let me know. I really appreciate all the help. I haven't had any issues with this router until I updated the firmware. 

If 1.0.1.10 is good I can just rock it for a while.