UPnP, is it safe/secure? Networking in general

The XR500 uses UPnP to selectively open and close needed ports, correct?   I’m just wondering if someone can help me understand how the XR500, or routers in general, decide what traffic to let in and out.  

Guest Killhippie
5 hours ago, BeerOnTap said:

The XR500 uses UPnP to selectively open and close needed ports, correct?   I’m just wondering if someone can help me understand how the XR500, or routers in general, decide what traffic to let in and out.  

You could Google UPnP and find out, just saying. But Apps and programs use UPnP though a bunch of networking protocols to open the ports they need so you don't have to, its not used so much in business environments as its not totally safe tbh so most business grade routers don't have or use it. Home routers not such an issue, just keep up to date with firmware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play

You are fine to use upnp.  If you are concerned I would use Steve Gibson's upnp exposure testing site.  He is big into networking security.  I believe that there is an internal firewall built into the router that helps protect you from any security issues. Maybe one of the developers from Netduma can speak more details concerning the issue and also I would post on Netgear's site and ask as well.  But all in all I think you are fine to use upnp.

Guest Killhippie
20 hours ago, PharmDawgg said:

You are fine to use upnp.  If you are concerned I would use Steve Gibson's upnp exposure testing site.  He is big into networking security.  I believe that there is an internal firewall built into the router that helps protect you from any security issues. Maybe one of the developers from Netduma can speak more details concerning the issue and also I would post on Netgear's site and ask as well.  But all in all I think you are fine to use upnp.

General advice is off for business on for homes, because if you have any malware it will use UPnP to open up ports, not  a great thing really but worse for businesses obviously.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/UPnP-on-or-off/td-p/505047