Help! WiFi problems.

mackseward

My wifi has intermittently decided to stop working. It will say that an IP address cannot be found. I reboot it from the interface and it seems to fix the problem but only for a few days. I have never had this problem before. The last month or so this has been going on. 

Guest Killhippie
3 hours ago, mackseward said:

My wifi has intermittently decided to stop working. It will say that an IP address cannot be found. I reboot it from the interface and it seems to fix the problem but only for a few days. I have never had this problem before. The last month or so this has been going on. 

Have you downloaded the Hotfix for drop outs? I would factory reset afterwords to be safe but thats your choice of course. Here is the blurb on it

When you say Wi-Fi stops working do you have your network split into separate radios, 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz or is it using one SSID and smart connect? If using smart connect try separating the two bands with separate SSID's and see if it works better or which radio is giving you issues. It could be hardware after all.  Updating to the hotfix (unless you have) may help possibly and not using smart connect may help too, also its possible its interference from another router in your areas. so using a app to see what frequencies are the clearest could help. If you have a Android phone there are a couple of very good free like Wi-Fi analyzer. Also make sure HT160 is off and MU-MIMO is off as well unless you have two or more MU-MIMO devices. Its worth a try before getting the router replaced if it is hardware.

3 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Have you downloaded the Hotfix for drop outs? I would factory reset afterwords to be safe but thats your choice of course. Here is the blurb on it

When you say Wi-Fi stops working do you have your network split into separate radios, 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz or is it using one SSID and smart connect? If using smart connect try separating the two bands with separate SSID's and see if it works better or which radio is giving you issues. It could be hardware after all.  Updating to the hotfix (unless you have) may help possibly and not using smart connect may help too, also its possible its interference from another router in your areas. so using a app to see what frequencies are the clearest could help. If you have a Android phone there are a couple of very good free like Wi-Fi analyzer. Also make sure HT160 is off and MU-MIMO is off as well unless you have two or more MU-MIMO devices. Its worth a try before getting the router replaced if it is hardware.

That hotfix is for the XR500 but as this is posted in the R1 forum I'll assume they're using an R1.

So wifi stops working... Can you still connect over ethernet once the wifi has stopped?

2 minutes ago, mackseward said:

My devices connected via ethernet are not affected. Correct I'm using the r1

Have you tried Killhippie's suggestion of using Wifi Analyser to figure out if you've got any heavily congested channels, and switching to the less populated ones?

Guest Killhippie

My mistake, I could have sworn this was originally in the Netgear support forum, so more coffee needed.  :)