Wireless Problems with XR500

I got AT&T 1000 Fiber yesterday and decided to get myself a XR500 Netgear Router as well. First off, the connection while wired feels amazing. Fast, responsive, and when tested with games that require a clean connection (ie. Call of Duty Black Ops 4), it is practically cheating.

But then we get the wireless and we are seeing some weird stuff happening.

The speeds are all over the place on speedtests. One test is 120mbps down, next is 21, next is 54, etc. And we thought this might just be the speedtest being finicky, but we saw that Prime Video refuses to load on our connection on wireless (I do have to test this on ethernet still).  Netflix worked on a regular, old Xbox One console, but then did not work on my laptop.

I was wondering what settings to look for to fix/potentially fix such issues. I have the QoS turned on, Anti-Blufferbloat is off. QoS has the "share excess" on, so I do not think it is the issue.

The speeds seem to do this fluctuation stuff no matter if I am close or far from the XR500.

Btw, the setup is that we have a AT&T modem (mandatory) doing IP Passthrough to the XR 500.

Again, works great on wired.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I think the most likely cause for this is smart connect, its supposed to automatically switch you between 2.4GHz & 5GHz depending on user need but perhaps it's having trouble. Disable this in Settings and connect directly to either the 2.4 or 5GHz networks and see if it improves.