A few questions...

...have a duma on the way.I purchased it just to have a better gaming experience.My current set up is,ps3 hard wired to router and all the other devices are connected wireless.I have a separate modem and router from my isp.Which is the best way to set up the duma,by it self as a stand alone router or use my existing router and the duma together.I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of tech stuff,just looking for the best set up so all the devices function like they do now.With the exception of my gaming cuz i know that will improve.Thanks in advance 

Guest Netduma Fraser

...have a duma on the way.I purchased it just to have a better gaming experience.My current set up is,ps3 hard wired to router and all the other devices are connected wireless.I have a separate modem and router from my isp.Which is the best way to set up the duma,by it self as a stand alone router or use my existing router and the duma together.I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of tech stuff,just looking for the best set up so all the devices function like they do now.With the exception of my gaming cuz i know that will improve.Thanks in advance 

Hey, thanks for purchasing an R1! We've been really busy getting the new upgrade sorted and its 2am here but rest assured we'll respond tomorrow! Again thank you for buying!

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hello,

Thanks for purchasing the R1.

We are winding down for the new year. As you don't have the router yet it should be ok if we let you know tomorrow. If we forget, please PM either Fraser or myself. 

Happy new year!

Of course,we all know you guys have been working pretty much around the clock.Enjoy the new year and i'll check back for a reply,again thanks

if your network speed is greater than 100Mb/s or you are using wireless AC then you'll want the following

Modem <-> ISP Router <-> R1 (disable DHCP, disable wifi, you don't get congestion control)

if not then

Modem <-> R1

Thanks for the reply abc,my speeds are 60/15 so no worries on the speed part.Please excuse my lack of knowledge but what is wireless AC ? My wireless devices are 2 i phones,2 mac computers (1 desktop,1 laptap) and 2 other ps3's that are used for netflix and bluray not gaming.Would any of those devices be considered wireless AC ? The reason i have to make sure it's set up properly is due to the fact that my wife is finishing up her masters and she writes a ton of papers and takes test's on line.And if i mess up our home network and she can't get on line i'm gonna get beat and not in the good way.

Also you mention congestion control again excuse my lack of knowledge but what is that ?

Thanks for the reply abc,my speeds are 60/15 so no worries on the speed part.Please excuse my lack of knowledge but what is wireless AC ? My wireless devices are 2 i phones,2 mac computers (1 desktop,1 laptap) and 2 other ps3's that are used for netflix and bluray not gaming.Would any of those devices be considered wireless AC ? The reason i have to make sure it's set up properly is due to the fact that my wife is finishing up her masters and she writes a ton of papers and takes test's on line.And if i mess up our home network and she can't get on line i'm gonna get beat and not in the good way.

Also you mention congestion control again excuse my lack of knowledge but what is that ?

Some of those devices are likely wireless AC compatible.  It is similar to wireless A, B, G, N, and then they made AC.  I doubt your ISP router has wireless AC.

Congestion control - When someone is downloading (using all your download speed) with congestion control your other devices will be able to use the internet (primarily important for your console).  It is also known as QoS but they made it a lot more simple than QoS is to setup.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks abc. Personally I don't use the word qos because in network research it's a very broad term and doesn't differentiate algorithms like our preemptive one.

i don't know if my isp router has wireless AC,it's a netgear 3800.I just know all the wireless devices work with the set up i use now.And the congestion control is definitely something i would like to work as netflix is always running and it does slow things down for me while gaming.

So with the devices i listed,my speeds and my end goal which way would i hook it up to optimize my connection.I know you guys are gonna have to hold my hand thru the process but i just want to make sure i do it right.And when my duma arrives i'm sure i'll have more questions as i stated before this is outside of the box for me.Again thanks for the reply's

i don't know if my isp router has wireless AC,it's a netgear 3800.I just know all the wireless devices work with the set up i use now.And the congestion control is definitely something i would like to work as netflix is always running and it does slow things down for me while gaming.

So with the devices i listed,my speeds and my end goal which way would i hook it up to optimize my connection.I know you guys are gonna have to hold my hand thru the process but i just want to make sure i do it right.And when my duma arrives i'm sure i'll have more questions as i stated before this is outside of the box for me.Again thanks for the reply's

that's just a wireless N router.

Guest Netduma Luke

I love your approach - we & the forum here will be ready to make sure your setup is optimal once your Duma arrives.

Thanks to the duma staff and abc for the replies.I will just wait until my duma arrives and then come back to the forums for your much needed guidance on the best way for me to set it up.I've been reading everything i can on the forums and i'd just like to say this seems like a great site,where people actually offer helpful suggestions and help each other.Which is very rare now days.Even thou i know nothing about setting up a network,and there are a lot of really educated people here i'm not hesitant to post questions on the forum.I guess in short i'm sayin this is a very user friendly site that makes you feel comfortable posting even if your a complete beginner.Good job to all the duma staff and the other forum members.

Guest Netduma Fraser

Thanks to the duma staff and abc for the replies.I will just wait until my duma arrives and then come back to the forums for your much needed guidance on the best way for me to set it up.I've been reading everything i can on the forums and i'd just like to say this seems like a great site,where people actually offer helpful suggestions and help each other.Which is very rare now days.Even thou i know nothing about setting up a network,and there are a lot of really educated people here i'm not hesitant to post questions on the forum.I guess in short i'm sayin this is a very user friendly site that makes you feel comfortable posting even if your a complete beginner.Good job to all the duma staff and the other forum members.

Thank you very much for your kind words. We value our customers very highly and as we ourselves are gamers we want everyone to have the best experience as possible whether they are complete beginners or professionals, we want to help everyone. 

Archived