Anti-Bufferbloat Question

So I am a newbie when it comes to bufferbloating and such terms. I set the sliders to 70/70, Always, and was still getting low scores on the DSL report as far as bufferbloat. I've set it all the way down to 20% to see it go to an A. Is it bad though that it has to be set to 20 percent for my PS4 Pro?

So, basically, my understanding is that the anti-bufferbloat is setting a cap for how much each device on the network can use from the Internet connection. This keeps greedy devices from hogging the connection and causing other devices to get in line and wait for things to free up (queuing).

When you set it to 70% and always, you're saying you never want any of your devices to be able to use more than 70% of your connection, up or down. Likewise, that means 20% is really limiting what your devices can use of your connection. You're probably not doing yourself any favors at that point, I imagine.

There's a pinned post that talks about reasons for why the DSL Reports test may give a bad score. Seems like there's a delay in the way the router is inspecting traffic, and this makes things look bad to DSL Reports. Personally, I'd set it to always or auto, 70/70, and enjoy the connection as is. 😊

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't pay attention to DSLReports when it comes to determining how well QoS is performing. Use this guide to see how well it is working and to help find the perfect setting for your connection: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection

Don't forget "Share Excess" should be on by default, so even tho it looks like you limit everybody with the sliders, all connected devices can have all they can eat until there is a bottleneck situation and that's when those numbers in the wheel breakdown actually mean what they mean ..

If you disable "Share Excess" then all devices get that limited amount of bandwidth all the time, and you can pick and choose who can eat and how much -- no matter the situation (not recommended unless you really know what you are doing or want this behavior) couple that with prioritizing packets over others you can really control what goes on with your bandwidth.

17 hours ago, twalls said:

So, basically, my understanding is that the anti-bufferbloat is setting a cap for how much each device on the network can use from the Internet connection. This keeps greedy devices from hogging the connection and causing other devices to get in line and wait for things to free up (queuing).

When you set it to 70% and always, you're saying you never want any of your devices to be able to use more than 70% of your connection, up or down. Likewise, that means 20% is really limiting what your devices can use of your connection. You're probably not doing yourself any favors at that point, I imagine.

There's a pinned post that talks about reasons for why the DSL Reports test may give a bad score. Seems like there's a delay in the way the router is inspecting traffic, and this makes things look bad to DSL Reports. Personally, I'd set it to always or auto, 70/70, and enjoy the connection as is. 😊