Filter by ping, not by location?

If ping is what truly matters, wouldn't it be better to filter the hosts you connect to (regardless of location) by the lowest possible pings? From New Jersey I ping 12-15 ms to my friend in Georgia, but 30-50ms to a friend in Virginia which is much closer geographically to me.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Its not that simple I'm afraid. Technically its a pain in the ass, we are looking into it though. Also in your scenario that is very weird. Either your friend closer is saturating their connection or there is a routing misconfiguration between the pair of you. ISPs usually fix those pretty quickly. 

Its not that simple I'm afraid. Technically its a pain in the ass, we are looking into it though. Also in your scenario that is very weird. Either your friend closer is saturating their connection or there is a routing misconfiguration between the pair of you. ISPs usually fix those pretty quickly. 

Well I never said it would be simple :P but it is in theory a more effective way than geo-filtering... It would have to be pinging many connections extremely fast before the game (in my case COD) moves on to another server.

As for my ping issue, it happens when I run speed test to servers all over the country as well. Sometimes I can ping 20-30 to california, other times it's over 100. The other day I was pinging 75 to England.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Yes the servers have probably moved. I read a few papers a year ago I can't remember the fancy word they used, but it meant "wire distance", so things on the Internet don't follow a straight line, if they did ping would be pretty much a linear function of distance(because the core Internet is over-provisioned). Anyway the papers all concluded that there is a strong correlation between geographical distance and wired distance.

That explains why the geofilter works so well. I did try some other things like filter by hop count. But none of them worked anywhere near as well as geo-filter does.

Archived