having to reboot my xr500 to get my connection back

Hi, i am having issues with my XR500. I keep having to reboot it to regain wifi connection to some of my devices, i also have to keep rebooting in order for my plex server to work outside my homes network. I am also having issues when i go in to the DumaOS i get the error p_app has not loaded, some pages will not load until i reboot the router.

I have tried to reset the system several times to solve this issue but it returns after a while again. i shouldnt have to keep rebooting and resetting a router to get its features to work. It should just sit happily in my living room serving internet to my family.

Firmware is V2.3.2.66.

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, SimonR said:

Hi, i am having issues with my XR500. I keep having to reboot it to regain wifi connection to some of my devices, i also have to keep rebooting in order for my plex server to work outside my homes network. I am also having issues when i go in to the DumaOS i get the error p_app has not loaded, some pages will not load until i reboot the router.

I have tried to reset the system several times to solve this issue but it returns after a while again. i shouldnt have to keep rebooting and resetting a router to get its features to work. It should just sit happily in my living room serving internet to my family.

Firmware is V2.3.2.66.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having these issues. Some suggestions for you:

• Disable Smart Connect for WiFi and connect devices to 2.4 or 5GHz manually
  • Give the devices reserved IPs in LAN Settings
  • In WAN Settings set NAT to Open
  • In System Information, in the Rapp panel options set the number of retries to 5

Then reboot and see if that improves things.

On 11/26/2020 at 6:32 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having these issues. Some suggestions for you:

• Disable Smart Connect for WiFi and connect devices to 2.4 or 5GHz manually
  • Give the devices reserved IPs in LAN Settings
  • In WAN Settings set NAT to Open
  • In System Information, in the Rapp panel options set the number of retries to 5

Then reboot and see if that improves things.

Thanks, i'll give it a go and see what happens.

So I changed the settings you advised. The plex issue has been resolved.

I am still having dropout issues, now including my iPhone 12 pro, which I wasn't previously. I am also now having issues with my hive heating system disconnecting. I have to reboot the router in order for it to come back online.

• Administrators
On 12/2/2020 at 9:12 AM, SimonR said:

So I changed the settings you advised. The plex issue has been resolved.

I am still having dropout issues, now including my iPhone 12 pro, which I wasn't previously. I am also now having issues with my hive heating system disconnecting. I have to reboot the router in order for it to come back online.

How are those devices connected to the router, are they using 2.4 or 5GHz?

26 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Try setting up a guest WiFi network for 2.4GHz and connect the affected devices to it and see if that gives them a sustained connection.

already done that. that is what my kids have been using upstairs on their devices. Shouldn't have to though really, its not like its a cheap router that isn't up to the job. I came away from one of those hoping to get a better experience.

27 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Totally understand that. In Traffic Controller make 2 rules to allow ALL traffic to the iPhone and Hive please and see if that supersedes anything causing the issue.

I don't see Traffic Controller.

• 3 months later...

Still having to reboot the router nearly everyday. Drop outs again on some of our wireless devices. Also I can not access the devices on my iOS app, I just get action was failed, which is also a nice typo by a professional company.

im getting really irritated with this £250 paperweight now.

89A20D12-D4C1-4D80-AFF9-C8616B242D37.png

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, SimonR said:

Still having to reboot the router nearly everyday. Drop outs again on some of our wireless devices. Also I can not access the devices on my iOS app, I just get action was failed, which is also a nice typo by a professional company.

im getting really irritated with this £250 paperweight now.

A new build was released yesterday which has a fix for disconnects, please upgrade, wait 2 minutes, factory reset, wait 2 minutes and see if it occurs again please

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/m-p/2072092#M4299

Thanks. I have updated to that version. Everything went smooth, I also factory reset after update just to make sure. Everything was working fine, this morning the router is still working but the devices list on the nighthawk app has stopped working again.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, SimonR said:

Thanks. I have updated to that version. Everything went smooth, I also factory reset after update just to make sure. Everything was working fine, this morning the router is still working but the devices list on the nighthawk app has stopped working again.

That's not our app so not something I could comment on unfortunately - you can however use the DumaOS mobile app instead.

Let us know how you get on regarding the dropouts.